collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
#74 - Buy a National guitar; learn to play it - Anon., from "The Life List 175 Things a Man Should Do Before He Dies", Esquire Magazine, December 1999

Author Topic: Robert Wilkins Lyrics  (Read 15491 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Robert Wilkins Lyrics
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
Hi dj,
Thanks for your suggestion for "Dirty Deal Blues", and I'm sorry to be slow responding.  It all sounds right to me, except I'm hearing another word that begins with a "b" sound falling here in the line:
   Because since you [b-------] who you are, babe,
Are you hearing that "b" sound there?  It almost sounds like it could be "bought", which doesn't really make sense.  What do you think?
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
That last line is sure tricky, he runs it together so fast. A not-at-all-certain guess based more on sound than sense:

Because SINCE SHE BROUGHT 'EM IN THE YARD, MAN, my woman'll reap rotten seeds.

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
Hi All
This is my first post but since I've got loads of info from you guys I thought I'd give this a shot and try to give something back.  I'm definately hearing "WHO YOU ARE BABE"  at the end.  The word before sounds like it might be "ABOUT".  My best shot at the moment is something like "BECAUSE SINCE THINK ABOUT WHO YOU ARE BABE", but I'm not sure about the 'SINCE' or the 'THINK'!
All the best,
Ned

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »
Anyone try slowing this one down? He runs the words together so fast that I'm tempted to think that it may be a flub and correction on the fly--and not necessarily a clear correction. Although I don't hear it clearly, "no matter" might fit between "since" and "who you are." And I hear "make" for "maybe," but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ned, you'll fit right in if you're into helping decipher lyrics.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
Anyone try slowing this one down?

Yes, as a matter of fact.  Slowing it down to 75% of recorded speed let me hear clearly how many syllables there are in the phrase in question, and got the phrase slow enough that I could sing along to try to match the sounds.  Doing this for a while makes me think that the last line of Dirty Deal Blues is

"Because SINCE YOU'RE GLAD OF WHO YOU ARE BABE , MAN, my woman 'LL reap rotten SEED"

This not only fits the sounds coming out of Wilkins' mouth but makes sense in the context of the song.  And speeding the phrase back up to recorded speed, it still sounds right to me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:05:55 AM by dj »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
Thanks, dj. That's a mouthful, as the old saying goes--to say the least. Those "sped up" RJ 78s have nothing on Robert Wilkins' played at normal speed!  :P

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 09:09:35 AM »
Thanks for working that out, dj.  Boy, as Stuart noted, Robert Wilkins really spat that line out.  I will make the change.  Incidentally, with that line, we have transcribed all of Robert Wilkins' pre-60s recorded lyrics.  Thanks to everybody who helped in that endeavor.
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »
Incidentally, with that line, we have transcribed all of Robert Wilkins' pre-60s recorded lyrics.  Thanks to everybody who helped in that endeavor.
All best,
Johnm

Good work, guys and gals. 

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »
Hi all,
Robert Wilkins recorded a striking version of "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" on his Piedmont LP, his first recordings after his re-discovery.  Melodically and chordally, his version is nothing like the New Orleans, Trad Jazz treatment that is most often played.  Rev. Wilkins' version has a strong mixolydian modal sound with its first change.  His progression is as follows:

|    G    |    G   |    F    |    F    |

|    D    |    D    |    G   |    G   |

|    C    |    C    |    C    |    C    |

|    G    |    G    |    G    |    G    |

I don't know the lyrics of the New Orleans version of the song well enough to know how different Rev. Wilkins' lyrics were (or if they are different).

REFRAIN: Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it, Jesus, if you please
Daily walking, close with Thee
Oh, let it be, Dear Lord, let it be

I am weak but thou art strong
Jesus keeps me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied and long
As I walk, let me walk close with Thee

Through this world of toils and snares
If I fall, the Lord who cares
Who with me and my burden shares
None but Thee, Dear Lord, none but Thee

REFRAIN:  Just a closer walk with Thee
Daily walking close with me

When my feeble life is over
Time for me won't be no more
Guide me gently safely over
To Thou kingdom shore, to thou shore

Daily walking close with Thee

Daily walking close with Thee

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:46:06 AM by Johnm »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
John, that bit with the question mark in the usual lyrics (which I think are pretty much what Wilkins sings) should be "as long" -- been a while since I've listened to this version, maybe he stumbles a bit.
Chris

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Chris.  He does sing "satisfied and long", but now I see how it got there.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
I have a question about "Old Jim Canan's," which I'm messin' with this week: where is Robert Wilkins pitched on his original?

The answer doesn't matter, I'm using a capo to match my voice, I'm just curious.

Also, in case you haven't found it already, there's a "remastered" version of the recording on YouTube that's very clean:

Thanks all,
Lindy

Added on Feb 6 -- Thanks, Stuart, I re-listened more carefully, and yep, he's pitched at A.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:47:15 AM by lindy »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »
It's been years since I played this one, but on the recording the guitar(s) sound close to A440. As John wrote, it's played out of the G position, but the high note on the 1st string sounds like A, so my guess is there's a capo on the 2nd fret. --Maybe

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2020, 09:48:07 AM »
Hi all,
I just added links to all of the recorded performances of Robert Wilkins transcribed in this thread, which contains all of his pre-War recordings and a couple from his rediscovery period.  Enjoy.
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal