collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Oooo, mmm, mmm, Ooo ooo, well, well, well, well, well. Oooo, ooo, mmm, ooo, mmm, well, well, well. Now what's on my mind, ooo, well, well, now you know it's hard to tell - Peetie Wheatstraw Numbers Blues

Author Topic: Harmony Stella with wooden tailpiece  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Harmony Stella with wooden tailpiece
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:47:04 AM »
Does anyone have one of these?  I have my eye on one, said to be from 1946 as a nice small bodied blues fingerpicker (it gets tiring picking a Martin dreadnought the whole time!). 

It plainly has lots of 'mojo' which is important ;) but I wondered if anyone had views on how they play and sound, or any particular problems / high points with them?

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Harmony Stella with wooden tailpiece
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 08:13:13 AM »
Hi Slim,

Perhaps Neil Harpe will check in here and offer thoughts. I know nothing about the model you're referring to. If you haven't checked already, you might want to look at http://members.aol.com/Rothguitar/Rothguita30.html which has some info on Harmony Stellas.

Ignatznochops

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 08:20:05 PM »
Did you end up with this guitar?

I played one that sounds very similar while at a guitar show. These were made during a time when there were still a lot of OS parts and bodies laying around in the transition from OS to Harmony, but this one was very heavily built and the tailpiece was ebony. During the war, all metal was being siphoned off into the war effort, and thus the use of what would nowadays be a much more expensive material.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 03:09:02 AM »
Yes I did. 

Its hard work- fat neck, but sounds great for playing Blind Blake and raggy stuff, as well as more aggressive and twangy blues.  My 'Woman Woman'  on the Back Porch was recorded using it- and it sounds great for that job, much better than my Martin does playing the same song!

Tags: