collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I never had a man, black or white, kiss me dead on the mouth before, but that's what he done. He say 'Lord, man, you done 100 percent. I've been on this job 35 years and I never seen a man do what you done in 2 days' - Bukka White, on Lester Melrose's reaction to his having written 12 new songs, Chicago, March 1940

Author Topic: I crave my pigmeat  (Read 2001 times)

norman

I crave my pigmeat
« on: August 31, 2005, 03:45:50 PM »
hello everyone ,

In the spirit of the Back Porch's mission statement ("Any member may post mp3 files, regardless of their level of ability. It's a place to share handmade music and to get constructive feedback.") I submit my rendition of I crave my pigmeat.

my name is Vincent and I've been playing the guitar for just a little under four years by now. I live in Montreal and haven't really been exposed to much rags or country blues here, but I'm now really getting into that style of music via cds and websites like this one.

This was recorded with a microphone plugged straight in the mic-in of my cheap on-board soundcard with the help of the audacity recording software.

Be nice, this is the first piece i've ever tried singing and i know i'm playing too fast to nail all the parts. Still, here it is...

All you guys seem to have much more experience than I do (judging from the quality of previous posts) so I'm really looking forward to your feedback.

vince
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 08:43:24 AM by norman »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: I crave my pigmeat
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 05:24:35 PM »
Hi Vincent, gee, I wish I could have played like that at 4 years - very impressive.  You are your own best critic and I agree, you need to slow down.  As Paul Rishell says -- you almost cannot play this music too slow.  If this is the first piece you've tried singing keep after it -- you have a nice voice.  And as someone else said (I'm fully of other people's sagely advice) no one cares what your voice sounds like as long as it is your voice (eg don;t try to sing like someone else).

Cheers and good work!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 06:40:35 PM »
Yeah, Vince, great first effort on the Back Porch. I agree with JohnD about the vocals. And I thnk you need to slow it down and concentrate more on getting the beat steady. Remember, this is dance music. Try to clap along with your recording and you'll see where you're speeding up or slowing down. It seems to me when you're doing the strums on the beat everything is fine, but when you get into the fancy picking you lose a lot of emphasis on the bass and the beat kinda goes away. I'd slow it down and even over-emphasize the bass for a while, 'til you really get the feel for the rhythm thru those parts. Once you feel comfortable with that, you'll be able to play it at any speed you want.

Keep posting.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
https://www.facebook.com/WaxwingJohn

Willie Brown's Liquor at CD Baby

lebordo

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »
I agree, a good effort for playing a short period of time. 

Another tool for getting the tempo even would be practicing with a metronome.  If you don't have one handy, there's one online at http://www.metronomeonline.com/.  Fully adjustable from 40 to 208 beats per minute.  Or you can download one that works on your desktop.  For example, you can download a free version of E-Metronome at http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/Free_E_Metronome_Download.html.  This allows the beat to be set from 40 to 340 beats per second, and also allows you to set the tempo (free version only supports 4/4 and 5/4, but the "pay" version has more extensive tempo support.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 08:08:23 AM »
Hi Vincent,

I'm going to disagree slightly with some of the other fellas and say the beat is pretty steady throughout. To my ear, what's happening is more that the tempo is too fast for your picking to keep up to the beat in a clearly emphasized fashion. Slow it down and all will fall into place, since you're pickin' nicely on this. You said you already knew this, so now you just need to follow that instinct. Welcome to WeenieCampbell!

Like Frank, I've worked on a half-assed version of this tune from time to time, often on a 12-string for some reason. Someday I may post it. Or not! :P

uncle bud

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 09:47:39 AM »
Hi Vincent
I really enjoyed listening to this and thought your picking was great - driving and clean. Hard to believe you've accomplished that in only four years. Why not try posting a  slower version? Aim (in your head) for half the current speed - and you'll probably  -if you're like me- wind up with three-quarters of it! However, that would give you lots more space to phrase vocally. And you won't be out of breath at the end!
Prof S

dabluz

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 05:48:10 AM »
great job vincent, thanks for posting. it keeps beginers like myself motivated to keep on playing. 8)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »
I think its a nice piece of work Norman- only 4 years? I've been at it longer than that and would love to be able to pick that cleanly and fast!

A personal view (and this possibly links into the overall view that it might benefit from having 10% taken off the tempo) is that its the sort of song where the guitar does the work and the pyrotechnics- whilst the vocal can be a bit more laid back and swingy. Does that make sense?

norman

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 06:40:36 AM »
Thanks for all the replies people! I derive much motivation from your encouragement and criticism.  Sorry for the late answer but here it is:

I'm fully of other people's sagely advice) no one cares what your voice sounds like as long as it is your voice (eg don;t try to sing like someone else).
the quotes are very good. At some point I was trying out different voices i could do and ended up with that fake-australian-Midnight Oil-accent.... sounded horrible! Now playing that song slow feels weird to me. I haven't heard the original in about a year but the only way i can hear the tune in my head is really fast.  I'll still give it a shot to see what i end up with.

[...] concentrate more on getting the beat steady. Remember, this is dance music. [...] but when you get into the fancy picking you lose a lot of emphasis on the bass and the beat kinda goes away.
When i listened to it again i had the same feeling about the beat getting away. I think it has to do in part to the fact that the thumb changes all the time (I'm not sure if it should): from nothing to 6-6 to 5-5 to 6-4 to 6-5 you know what i mean. I think I'll need to do just as you say and be extra careful with that bass.

Another tool for getting the tempo even would be practicing with a metronome.?
I did buy a metronome back when i had decided i needed to work some scales out. Found it so boring that i never used it  :-\  Now i remember that back when i played the trumpet in high school it really helped me a lot getting good things out of the swing numbers i was trying to play.

To my ear, what's happening is more that the tempo is too fast for your picking to keep up to the beat in a clearly emphasized fashion.  Welcome to WeenieCampbell!
That pretty much sounds like that to my ear too. Thanksfor the welcoming!

Hi Vincent
I really enjoyed listening to this and thought your picking was great - driving and clean. Hard to believe you've accomplished that in only four years. Aim (in your head) for half the current speed - and you'll probably? -if you're like me- wind up with three-quarters of it!
Thanksfor the compliment! Actually I tried already to record slower but wound up with about 90% of the speed  :o  It did sound much better and less "in a hurry" and i think much cleaner. I think what I'll do is substitute de new version to the old one when i get back from work tonight.

great job Vincent thanks for posting. it keeps bbeginnerslike myself motivated to keep on playing. 8)
Yeah i thought the back porch had too much of a good vs. bad players ratio  ;D

A personal view is that its the sort of song where the guitar does the work and the pyrotechnics- whilst the vocal can be a bit more laid back and swingy. Does that make sense?
I agree with you and that's partly why I picked it. Also, the speed probably came up from my tendency to camouflage my vocal shortcomings. But that's part of the game i guess.

Thanksagain to everyone! As I said I'lltry to switch the recordings around to a bit slower one tonight or tomorrow. Now I plan on working on a much slower tune with a bit fancier chord changes so that'll probably help me a bit too.  I'll try to resurrect this thread in a few months to show how it turned out.

ciao

Vince

norman

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 08:44:40 AM »
ok, I did add the new one (pigmeat-weenie.mp3 up in the first post) which i feel is a more solid guitar even if not that much slower.

thanks again to all that showed interest!

Vince

Tags:

anything