collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn - Charlie Parker

Author Topic: Bill Broonzy Re-Issue Sets  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Bill Broonzy Re-Issue Sets
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
Discussed earlier in the topic, this is "on sale" at Roots & Rhythm. Worth the $16 for the booklet alone.

BIG BILL BROONZY Amsterdam Live Concerts 1953
Munich MRCD 275 Usual Price = $37.98/ Sale Price = $15.98
Two CD set in book format featuring Big Bill recorded live at two concerts held in Amsterdam in February, 1953. The recordings were made by sound engineer and later film director Louis Van Gasteren and the quality is very good for a live recordings. Bill is in fine form, chatting with audience and playing some of his most well known pieces including "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad/ House Rent Stomp/ Black, Brown & White/ Down By the Riverside/ Glory Of Love/ back-Water Blues/Trouble In Mind", etc. Includes 48 page booklet with notes by blues scholar Guido Van Rijn and touching reminiscences by van Gasteren and is copiously illustrated with rare photos including many previously unpublished photos taken in The Netherlands.

Offline Mike Shipman

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »
This has all prompted me to record the complete recordings of BBB (on Document) from CD onto my Ipod... all eleven of them. I recall I got these - along with some others - in a bartering deal with a certain Mr BH in the early 90's - he preferred the sound of vinyl - probably still does!
My wife refers to the Document CDs as my "fried egg music" (all the crackles in the background - or should that be foreground!) so Im really looking forward to some clearer tracks on this latest offering.
Mike Shipman
New Forest - Hampshire, UK.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:45 AM »
This has all prompted me to record the complete recordings of BBB (on Document) from CD onto my Ipod... all eleven of them. I recall I got these - along with some others - in a bartering deal with a certain Mr BH in the early 90's - he preferred the sound of vinyl - probably still does!
Yes indeed Mike I have all the1980s Document LPs. Johnny Parth used to pay his booklet scribes in CDs. Essentially I requested  as payment CDs of artists who weren't well represented in my vinyl collection. In general, the female vaudevillians (who were poorly served on vinyl) and those whom others found 'boring' - Peetie Wheatstraw, Josh White etc etc.   ;)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 02:59:07 AM »
My wife refers to the Document CDs as my "fried egg music" (all the crackles in the background - or should that be foreground!)
I've always thought those old 78s were recorded in a fish & chip shop.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob