collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe - Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

Author Topic: first recording  (Read 1922 times)

dabluz

first recording
« on: July 03, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »
ok, here it is. my first recording. if you could see what i used you would really laugh. major recording studios have nothing to worry about. its a little olympus micro recorder i use for memo's but it has a usb connection. this is not a song, i really don't know any songs, haven't been playing long enough. i think it is in D. i think it's  D G A .  i'm using parts of those cord shapes. so be nice, i'm not so good, but i'm trying

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: first recording
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 09:37:39 PM »
Sounds like song to me Dale.  You've got a good sense of time -- and there are some very nice harmonies in there.  You just "messing around"?  If so, I think I'd keep fleshing that one out -- it evokes a nice mood.

And congrats on conquering a couple of hurdles!  ;)

cheers,
slack!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 01:48:54 AM »
I agree with Slack.? Very smooth and some nice melancholy harmonies.? I can definitely hear the structure of a song in the making there- crying out for a heart wrenching 'my puppy died and I'm all alone' type vocal? :D

Edited to add....

I'm listening at work so can't hear it too clearly (playing through a dictaphone handset!).  However, it sounds reminscent of Lonnie Johnson, and I was thinking that (if you are not already) you might trying playing it in dropped D tuning- which would give you access to that deep ringing bottom string bass- as well as an octave alternating bass if you wanted it.  Just a thought....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 02:11:26 AM by Norfolk Slim »

dabluz

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 06:51:03 AM »
thank you all for your generous comments. after listening to it a number of times i realized how important it is to record and listen to yourself. i'm hearing a lot of things i can improve on and some directions i can take. a number of people have told me to record and listen as a process of learning, how true.

slim, thanks for the lonnie johnson comment, i really like lonnie johnson and skip james. i'm glad his great haunting style appears in my playing.

this is a great reguvenation of the spirit to be able to put things on the BP and get comments from players. thanks wennie campbell forum. :D

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 06:56:12 AM »
Its a really good experience to get thing out onto the Back Porch....

Do try the dropped D thing- it shouldnt change any of your current fingerings much (if at all)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 08:15:23 AM »
I think this is great playing.  In fact I am a bit puzzled in regards to how long you've been playing etc.  For as much facility and solid technique you have with the fingerpicking here, both picking and and fretting hands (even up the fretboard), I'd say you were quite comfortable with the box.  As Slack suggests, you've got a great sense of time on that nice smooth monotonic bass + melody that I don't associate with a rank beginner.  Yet you say you don't know any songs and aren't even sure what chords you are playing!  Dang, I wish I could make "nothing" sound so much like something!  If you really are still learning the basics, keep plugging at it - you've got a great future as a player.  Obviously we all have our own approach to playing, but I'd suggest finding a tune or two from a favorite player that really speaks to you and learn 'em - even for people who tend to like to express themselves more through their own creativity, there is no substitute for what you can learn by acquiring some established material - creates a great foundation of techniques, ideas, etc to make your own. 

BTW, as to recording method, your post continues to show how little one needs to make a BP-ready post!!  I had no problems with this recording at all.

Look forward to more posts.

tom

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 08:20:23 AM »
Congrats dabluz! With recording, my motto is keep it simple. I can't figure out the other stuff...

Re. dropped D, isn't this already in dropped D?

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 08:28:18 AM »
I wondered whether it might be- but I only get a really tinny sound through my dictaphone handset and its very hard to pick out what is going on in the bass! 8)

dabluz

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 11:11:01 AM »
again, thanks very much for the kind encouragement, i started playing finger style blues about 14 months ago. i played some eagles and dylan stuff back in the early 70's and didn't touch a guitar until a little over a year ago. i worked on them a lot and collected a fair number of guitars, but never played, recently i finally have the time. i took a woody mann seminar, and i've tried working with steady bass and picking a melody. the tune is in dropped d? DADGBE. i like this tunning as it makes a droning bass really easy and D G A shapes go up and down the neck real easy. thanks again, you're all very kind. i really feel good about sticking with my form of therapy. the back porch is avery cool place 8)

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »
Yep- that's dropped D- ie the bottom string is dropped to D.

Now I'm home and have proper speakers I can hear it!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 02:54:24 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed listening to this, and what a great recorded sound you get from that dictaphone! Sounds like a professional job to me!! Every note as clear as a bell and a nice roomy sound to it. Thanks for posting and keep em coming!

Tags:

anything