collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I am an urban person, although I'm a very confused urban person. I was reared in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., but I was reared listening to all this weird, old stuff - Mike Seeger, notes to True Vine

Author Topic: Mississippi Blues  (Read 3646 times)

si

Mississippi Blues
« on: July 01, 2005, 09:39:51 AM »
By Willie Brown. Just the first section twice (still working on the 2nd section). Sorry timing is a bit out in places. Invitation - anyone who wants to add a second guitar (or anything) to this and has suitable software is welcome to.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: Mississippi Blues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 10:18:51 AM »
ooh, that is just begging for a harp, isn't it?  If only I could play something other than "Oh Susanna."

tom

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 12:34:19 PM »
Si,
Sounds great! I love those slow blues. Reminds me of DVR- In the Midnight Hour-

How long did it take to learn the first part?

Mel

si

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 05:31:15 PM »
Cannot really say how long it took because I part-learned it eons ago and forget how long that took, then didn't play guitar for many years, then relearned it.
But I do remember that at first the hardest thing was the alternating bass because in key of A the bass goes E A E A on strings 6 5 6 5. Difficult to make the brain do that.
That unusual alternating  bass is a big part of the magic of this tune I think.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 05:51:54 PM »
Very nice si -- keep working on that second part and also work on putting a vocal to it (I say this as someone who doesn't spend near enough time learning vocals - I'ma great 'armchair' musician  :D ).  The lyrics to this tune have always been a diappointment to me -- especially in contrast with the fantastic guitar part - but sometimes you cannot have everything!  Waxwing does an especailly nice version (nicest I've heard Anyone, including the pros,  do!) of this tune.  I told him a year ago he needs to post his version on the back porch.  ;D

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

dabluz

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 08:22:13 PM »
very cool, sounded nice. i'm going to have to break down and try to record something for the back porch. don't know quite how to do it. i really should learn, it would probably improve my playing greatly. i really suck :(

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 08:26:10 PM »
Yes, I agree--very, very nice. Gives me incentive to re-learn it someday as well. As for the lyrics, I would guess that one could always embellish, add to, or change the original--it wouldn't be the first time that it was done in the history of the country blues. I agree with Slack (and probably everyone else) that the guitar is just great. What do you think came first? Or did they evolve concurrently? Could it be that ?the lyrics were just an afterthought--for the sake of having lyrics? We'll probably never really know for sure.

Stu

si

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 10:22:23 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.
The lyrics are not enthralling but have potential , I will modify them a little when I get round to singing this. When I did this tune at a jam session the harmonica player spontaneously improvised some lyrics.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 12:50:01 AM »
Hey si, you've got a good start. Took me forever to get that far. I kinda feel like there's so much going on already I haven't really added much. I'd work on getting more fluid and holding the beat, and bringing it up to speed, but that's me.

Personally, I really like the lyrics and enjoy singing this song. Yeah, they are simple, but very expressive of a feeling of loneliness in a flat open countryside. And that he progresses beyond that feeling in the last verse to leave her behind is great. I guess I had a few relationships that went like that in my younger days, took too long to get over it then one day just was able to walk away. But, I'm a sucker for straightforward emotion over complexity. I haven't worked in the asides yet, either, and I think they really give it more depth, too.

Hey, JohnD. Thanks for the great compliment. Things are still pretty unsettled around the new homestead, and I also managed to get thru a 4 hour solo gig yesterday with a torn fingernail patched with silk and superglue before it finally cracked off, but I've promised Alex and Miller (who's coming over tonight) that I'd put it up, so I bettter make it happen trhis weekend.

Speaking of  where this song came from, I believe I've read discussion somewhere that, inspite of the fact that WB told Lomax that he made it up himself, he is clearly mimicking a mandolin and piano (I think) recording, what song and by whom I can't remember. Anyone else have any memory of this? It might be in the liner notes to the River of Song issue, but I can't check right now.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 01:00:32 PM »
...good discussion and a good song ... I learned Miss Blues a number of years back from a friend and still stumble over my fingers on the B part ... waxwing, if I'm not mistaken, you're correct about the piano version of this song, I actually had it recorded on tape some years ago, but can't seem to locate it at the moment, but as I remember, the basic structure of the song is there in William Brown's version ... regarding the lyrics, I've written my own version based on personal experiences sort of, and I'll share them here as a world premier (still not able to record on my computer yet? :-\? with apologies to Mr. Brown:

I'm goin back to the Mekong Delta, where I can have my fun
(repeat)
I can smoke my reefer, and shoot my M-60 machine gun

I'm goin back to the Mekong Delta, tell you the reason why
(repeat)
Charlie Cong don't love me, and Saigon women they don't cry

I came home from the Mekong Delta, flew in on a freedom bird
(repeat)
Nobody seemed to know me, baby killer was all I heard

Bye bye baby, bye bye baby good bye
(repeat)
If I come home in a black bag, then you'll know the reason why

I'm goin back to the Mekong Delta, where I can have my fun
(repeat)
I can drink my Wild Turkey whiskey, and love my M-16 gun

Hope they're not too much of a downer on this July 4th wkend!? ... regards, Tom

PS ... yeah, I know, 'this is my rifle this is my gun', but I had to make the rhyme? ;D

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 11:23:22 AM »
Say, anyone:
I am having a slow time learning where to place my fingers of the L hand for Mississippi Blues, just learning from the McWilliams tab. Did John Miller teach this tune--if so, I would love to have this lesson and learn from it. I learn from his technique/approach very well. Slack, is there a JMM lesson on the weenie site I am not aware of? :-\

Where is there a simple printed up version with chord finger positions for the L hand?--this would make it easier to see where the hand goes, to move into position for the transitions. I am having trouble with the intervals /turnarounds.

Sorry, but my L handedness/R brain connections are making this a tough one to get at first.
Ta', Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 11:53:09 AM »
CG:

I believe that one of Stefan Grossman's early books had the tab \ finger positions for Mississippi Blues. In addition, I think that Rory Block covers it in her audio lesson package on Homespun Tapes.  However, I don't have either at hand--does anyone out there know for sure?

Stu

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 11:59:58 AM »
Rory definitely covers a version of it on her tape.

Comment from Woody Mann about the old days with Gary Davis- "Rory Block was god, because she knew how to play Mississipi Blues!":-)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »
Hey Buzz, let's get together again this weekend if you've got some time. Bring your minidisc. I can take you through note by note. I know you prefer to reach over more than thumb wrap, unless you absolutely have to, but that's pretty much what you'll get from both Rory and Stefan. Lotta thumb in this one. Stefan doesn't really teach the piece, he just plays it thru a few times for the video tape and provides tab (and actually plays a few little bits that aren't tabbed). Give me a call.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal