collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

If trouble was money I swear I'd be a millionaire - Albert King, If Trouble Was Money

Author Topic: Come on in my kitchen  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Come on in my kitchen
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:43:38 AM »
I know, I know- its Robert Johnson and everyone's done his songs already...  :D

Thought it was time I posted a slide piece.  I'm relatively new to slide so am really just starting now to put complete songs together rather than noodling.  This happens to be the first.

Was recorded directly into the pc using Audacity and a condenser mic.  Its played on my (much refurbished) '33 National Duolian, with bare fingers.  I love the tone I get with picks, but the guitar is a complete animal and I have enought trouble controlling its sound without putting picks on!  Also, I only have one mic, and if I use picks, the guitar completely drowns the voice.

Arrangement credits to Bob Brozman, although this is a somewhat simplified version compared to his.

dabluz

Re: Come on in my kitchen
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:02:51 AM »
good job, nice playing 8)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 10:39:57 AM »
Nice playing - and a great sounding guitar!

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 07:36:22 AM »
what a great sound.? I don't have any problem with RJ!? In fact, I ought to learn some.? A question - what would it sound like if you widened out the vibrato on some of those held notes?? There is nice vibrato there already, and your slide control is just great, so this isn't a criticism, just a question.? Have you experimented with narrow and wide vibratos, and did you like the result?? Question from a fellow beginner (alhtough you seem more in control than I am!)

BTW, I know what you mean about the picks - I started that way too with the slide, but dang it makes a lot of noise (much to my wife's displeasure...).  I have grown rather accustomed now to coaxing out the sound with bare fingers now (I normally fingerpick that way anyway) - and your sound is great on the Duolian as it stand.

tom
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 07:39:29 AM by a2tom »

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:40:43 AM »
Thanks atom.

The guitar is a real beast- the tone is sooooo much better with picks, but it really is deafening and I get a lot of noises I don't want. Thats partly my clumsiness with picks obviously...

The sustain is very limited so I probably tend keep the vibrato narrow to coax as much out of it as possible- but I confess its not something I have actively thought about.

As usual- the longer the recording spends on the back porch, the more imperfections I hear when I play it back.  The vocal gets a bit lost and there are one or two occasions when I lose the steadiness of the pulse a bit...  Have you heard Brozman's version?  I've cut out all the really tricky bits.   Partly through ineptitude and partly because the harmonics really dont sustain enough on this guitar.  I need to save up for a tricone... ;)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 09:25:49 AM »
The guitar is a real beast- the tone is sooooo much better with picks

I think that is something that probably comes across very differently live vs. memorex.? The recording sounds sweet as is to me, but...

As usual- the longer the recording spends on the back porch, the more imperfections I hear when I play it back.

heh heh, ain't it the truth.? I often end up recording very late at night (only chance many weeks), and by the next morning with a clear rested head I listen again (after posting) and think "and I thought that sounded good last night?"!? ?I sometimes think I should give things a days incubation before I post it - but always uniformly reject that idea, since then I'd never post anything!? And I want EVERYONE to post whatever little thing they managed to record.

On this topic, I think others tend to hear your performance more "overall" without fussing as much about that missed fret or buzzed string (in part, the listener is less married to what you were TRYING to do, and just experiencing what you did do).? I do think rhythm/time problems tend to stand out as more of a sore thumb (I didn't notice any in this recording, though) than missed licks, or even recording imbalance, poor guitar tone, etc.? The more I listen to the CB, the more I find that if the feel is there, the groove, it'll sell.? Mistakes and technique are incidental.

Have you heard Brozman's version? I've cut out all the really tricky bits.

don't think so, or at least I don't remember it spefically.? BB is of course phenomenal.? I'd be darn impressed if you could do all of his tricky bits!? I think what you've laid down has plenty of great licks - more than enough to keep the interest level of the tune at a high level all the way through.

tom

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 02:40:16 AM »
Hello Matey

Nice playing!! the guitar sounds great. I had a little go on this guitar once, it is loud! it blew my Delphi away.

See that you are far to self critical as always. I will look forward to hearing some RJ  in August!

Talking of Mr Johnson tonight at 10.00 (GMT) on BBC Radio 2 there is a RJ special you might be interested in listening in to. In fact it is broadcast live on the web for those outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/listings/day.shtml?day=today

Cheers
Andy

boots

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 03:10:04 AM »
Thanks for the post Andy. Would have missed it with this notice.

Cheers,
Boots

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 04:06:48 AM »
Thanks- I'd have missed it too.  Sounds interesting- I'll probably tape it.

Going (briefly) back to Brozman, he teaches this version of Come on in my Kitchen at the start of the second DVD in his 3 DVD series.  It contains entire passages in artificial harmonics, virtual tremolo with picks, backwards rasquedos (with picks) and all manner of rhythmic oddities.

If I were the sort of person who insisted on 'completing' a lesson before moving on to the next one, I'd never have got any further on the second DVD let alone watched the third! Good fun trying though  :D

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 05:44:00 AM »
what the heck is a backward rasquedo?

tom

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 06:23:59 AM »
Exactly! :D

Bob calls it a 'scrunch stroke'.? Its really just the closest thing you can do to a flamenco rasquedo whilst wearing picks.? Its a downstroke across all six strings with the thumbpick, with an upstroke from the index finger and then the middle finger, also across all 6 strings, beginning before the thumb stroke has finished....

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 10:09:04 AM »
Having got home and tried it- its actually the opposite of what I said above!  The fingers start first and the thumb follows before the fingers finish.  I've attached a brief example of the effect it creates.   Great for RJ style rhythms and triplets.

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 04:01:59 PM »
Just read the posts, and listened to the mp3's. Sounds terrific to me. The rhythym  and beat is maintained throughout the piece, and you have fine control of the tone, and vibrato. Good job! The scrunches sound authentic and rich.

I pick up and put down the Duolian every week or 2, mine is 1931, and it is very loud, man, you ain't kidding, more so with picks!. At Weenie Camp I tend to leave it back at the house, cuz it drowns out the wooden guitars in classes. Lately, been doing different tunes, some John Miller taught at other camps, like Teddy Darby "I NEver Cried", or Leroy Carr number "Shady LAne". Your stuff sounds like it keeps you plenty busy... ;D

Keep working on this stuff...you sound terrific, IMHO.
 Buzz (Miller)
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 11:29:17 AM »
Thanks- that's very nice of you.

I keep thinking that I really must get over to the states for weenie week sometime... It would be a pleasure to meet and play with all you chaps.

jameshuckle

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 06:51:02 AM »
I thought this was excellent!

Tags: