collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Don't jive every girl you see in the street, there's other kind o' pork besides pigmeat - "It Still Ain't No Good (New It Ain't No Good)", Mississippi Blacksnakes

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 56102 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2004, 01:16:07 PM »
I've got several ukes and a parlor guitar in progress

Any plans for another cigar-box mando (or two?) <g>

Cigar box Ukes this year :P - you can't do everything, but who knows what oddity might strike.

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2004, 04:12:37 PM »
Slack, you're obviously a clever chap to make all these things at the same time, now I am  struggling with just the one which started out as a sort of L5 lookalike with a big round bottom bout (as the actress said to the bishop)...

However, my problem is what to finish it with? You have the advantage of Stewart MacDonalds guitar shop bits emporum which sells everything including luvley looking spray cans of guitar finish - and those are one of the few things that they cannot ship over the big pond. Over here there does not seem to be an equivalent and no-one is able to suggest an alternative although there must be one!

So, in the meantime, in your vast experience of making these things what do you suggest I could finish it with that I might even be able to obtain outside of the US ??? 
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2004, 06:38:24 PM »
Hi Richard!

Wow, an archtop - I think you are more clever than I.  Got any pictures?

I think the best option for amatuers like us doing a guitar or two a year - is french polish.  It takes more time than other finishes (nothing compared to the time building a guitar), but it is the most beautiful finish, easily repairable, easy to apply (don't be intimidated by the detailes precess) and can be applied in a 'dirty' environment, gets very hard and durable over time, does not yellow over time and was the finish used at the turn of century, perfect for an L-5 --- and yet another way to relive that grand period of time! :D (how's that for a sales job?)

Here is an excellent tutorial, complete with video snippets.

http://www.milburnguitars.com/frenchpolish.html

I think the other good option is a waterbourne finish.  If you don't have good options in the UK, these can be shipped.

Also, you might ask your question on this luthiers forum - there are UK luthiers that regularly hang out there.

www.mimf.com

Keep me posted!

cheers,
slack

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2004, 12:29:48 PM »
Thanks Slack thats a good site and it does look like the dreaded french polish (which I have used on touching up ancient furniture) could be the stuff, although the waterbased products are easier to put on, I shall have to think about it. I'll also try and make contact with some UK luthiers

Do remember I did say lookalike L5 as I want to build this thing to what I think I want! For instance I cannot cope with hacking the top out of solid, but am bending the top to the bracing rather like I made the ached back - and again I using a bolt-on neck (12 fret) not a traditional neck joint. I have made most of it now as a kit of parts and really ought to get round to putting it together. The sides and back are made from some ancient thick cherry veneer that I purloined, the top is spruce and the neck mahogany. I'll try and take a picture as the sides are bent and glued up with the kerfing etc .. watch this space, eventually :o
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2004, 06:01:50 PM »
Sounds good to me Richard - I see nothing wrong with the approach.  Is this a first guitar?

cheers,
slack

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Global Moderator
  • Not dead yet!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2004, 11:20:41 PM »
Huzzah! At long last, the Style 'EN' I have had on order since January finally arrived on Friday. It looks and sounds pretty good out of the box - bassier than I remember my old familair (but departed) departed Style 'O' being when it was cherry. I'm not going to try to judge either the sound or setup until I've played it for 20 hours or so. I've got a year's worth of free tweaking from the shop that handled the order for me, so there's no particular reason to hurry. One thing I did notice - I've apparently gotten used to playing exclusively on narrower, thinner necks, so had trouble grabbing the outside strings consistently. I guess my fingers have gotten lazy over the past eight months? I'll post pix and a sound sample or two once the beast settles in a bit.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2004, 12:32:30 AM »
Hi Bill, you got me there boy, whut the hell is a a style EN ???

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2004, 06:57:06 AM »
Congrats Bill! - glad you got your 'O' replaced!

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Global Moderator
  • Not dead yet!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2004, 03:50:36 PM »
Rivers wondered:

whut the hell is a a style EN ???

It's basically a Style 'N' that has been etched more-or-less opposite of the 'N' etching pattern. You can see pictures of these two styles on the National Resophonic web site. Basically, it provides a lot less 'shiney chrome' real estate to be resonsible for, and gets rid of the surfing scene and palm trees (that I was never that fond of anyway). Plain and conservative - that is what appealed to me. Construction is identical to a Style 'O'.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2004, 11:56:58 AM »
Hi Bill,
I'm really glad to hear you were finally able to get this guitar.  It sounds like you were able to purchase pretty much exactly what you were looking for in terms of design features.  I look forward to seeing and hearing you play it at Port Townsend.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Global Moderator
  • Not dead yet!
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2004, 10:10:54 AM »
Thanks John - I've got some time set aside this weekend to give it a bit of a work-out. Haven't decided on a name; like dogs, I subscribe to the belief that guitars need to have a personal realtionship with their master/owner involving first name intimacy.

Hopefully, my fingers will begikn remembering where the strings are on that wider neck! I've only played in standard so far, but am looking forward to making my way into open tunings and digging out a slide (or two - from the 'slide corral').

I've always thought that ragtime stuff sounds good on a reso as long as you don't play it too hard. There's a characteristic crispness when played with quick damping that brings a solid 'march-like' feel to those pieces.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2004, 07:32:54 PM »
Yes, I do hope to get to play it, hopefully this week. I'll let you all know.

Hi Alex - did you ever get to grub up this Gibson L-3?  I just saw one pop up at Elderly and it reminded me of this thread.

Gibson L-3

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2004, 07:44:46 PM »
That sure is a purty guitar. Boy oh boy...

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2004, 09:40:33 PM »
Très old-time!  Makes me want to get all Roy Harvey on it...

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2004, 11:53:29 PM »
Hey frankie:

Thanks for the pics.

Nope, I haven't got my hands on it yet, too much ring-around-the-rosie. I suspect my chances are low, as I'm off tomorrow to the wilds of south-central Montana to do a months worth of field work. And yes, the deer and the antelope do play there.

I'll have to hope the seller stops dithering and decides to part with it by the time I get back.

At least this time I'm going to make it to the Gibson facility in Bozeman.

Unibomber, here I come,
Alex

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal