collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Yeah man I was born March 15, you know the year was nineteen hundred and twelve, yes you know every since that day Po' Lightnin' ain't been doing so well - Lightnin' Hopkins, Goin' Back Home And Talk To Mama, Gold Star

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 56086 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 08:19:30 PM »
Got a picture?  Todd have a website?

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2004, 09:33:51 PM »
I posted a picture earlier in the thread - it's a pic that he emailed me just after completing the guitar.? I don't have a digital camera (I know, I know...? who ever heard of a computer geek with no gadgets?), but I might be able to use a friend's over the weekend.? If I can, I'll post another pic.? If I can work out Sawmill Moan, maybe I'll post that, too.? That tune just seemed to pop out of the guitar all by itself - I've always wanted to figure it out, but something about the opening figures always threw me for a loop.? I think I even worked out this one weird C7 he uses in the middle of the tune...? I love this guitar!

Todd doesn't have a website yet, but there's one in the works.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 09:39:50 PM by frankie »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2004, 01:53:24 PM »
Well, I guess I'll get to play this little sweetheart in about 4 hours as I'm just a few miles from Frankie's house. Maybe I shoulda brought my little Stella. Next time. You'll get a kick outa the Style O, Frank. I'm looking forward to hearin' the Basile family string band. Yahoo! I can use a break from the family stuff, too.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
https://www.facebook.com/WaxwingJohn

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »
Waxwing - it was just great to have you and your wife over last night.  You were great guests and very tolerant of my over-friendly dog and his, uh, "inner-atmosphere".  Your style-O was great - I would have played it longer if I didn't have problems wih nickel...  I forgot to ask again - who did the setup on it?  It plays like butter!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 11:07:02 AM »
Hey Frank,
Finally got a chance to get on line. Be back in SF tomorrow so I'll be back in my pattern of checking the WCB every half hour or so.
Both Gre and I had such a good time visiting you and Kim, and Peetie wasn't all that bad, even for a couple of cat people like us. I did manage to ressurect some of those Joliet Bound licks you showed me, the next day, so I'm looking forward to getting home where I can access your mp3 and start trying to put it together. We really look forward to visiting you folks again and sampling some more of Kim's fine baking, not to mention your fine playing.
As for the Style O., yeah, I feel like a lucky bastard every time I play it, as I do with most of my guitars. It's a favorite of Ari's, too, and he actually played a few licks on it in a coffee shop on South St. the other night after a great Vietnamese dinner. (He says Hi to all the Weenies, BTW) The set up, and intonation we're done by Gary Brawer here in SF. He is really fantastic and is luthier for many of the pros in town. Names like Joe Satriani, Bob Weir, and he used to do Jerry G.'s guitars. He has a small shop in the back of a vintage store called Real Guitars. I think he is particularly good with resos. He transformed that guitar. One of the things he has going for him is that he has one of only 3 PLEK machines which exist in the US. It is a CNC milling machine which can give you the absolute lowest action for given string gauge etc., by plotting the arc of the open string and milling the frets to be just below that arc. But he also does great intonation work. On the "O" he added some wood to the back of the saddle and carved away at the front of the saddle to get the intonation spot on for each string. On my Soveriegn 12, the bone saddle Tim, his bridge man, carved takes a little zigzag at each pair to better intonate the second course strings. It's a work of art. I guess I'm one of his regular customers, now, as he has worked on at least 6 guitars for me in the last three years or so. Whenever I come in they all go "Oh, oh, what have you got now?" I'm actually thinking very seriously about asking him for a job. He's taught me so much about guitars I don't think it would be a very difficult transition to turn my woodworking skills and experience to luthery. We shall see.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 03:45:55 PM »
Thanks, John - I'm wondering whether I should look into sending my Delphi out to him to set up...   I'm generally conflicted about the guitar (typical love/hate guitar relationship).  Tried selling it locally - nibbles but no bites.  I think I'm resigned to keeping it, at least at the moment...   we'll see, I guess.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 02:49:13 PM »
Howdy:

Speaking of old guitars, a friend of mine casually mentioned in conversation yesterday that they had a friend who had a 1928 Gibson L-3 they might be interested in selling.

Do any of you know of this model (it appears to be a small bodied F-hole guitar) and whether it would be any good to play country blues on? I just want to know how vigorously I should to persue this.

Thanks,
Alex

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 04:38:29 PM »
Hi Alex - are you certain that it's got f holes?  I think both the L-3 and L-4 archtops were roundhole guitars through '33 or so.  They can be very cool guitars, but respond best to an, ahem, authoritative picking hand.  best to be unapologetic when addressing them!

Will you have an opportunity to play it?  The proof's in the pudding, so to speak...

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2004, 05:51:27 PM »
Here's one, a 1928, over at Frets.com that looks like a mini L-5, there's even a pic of the two models for comparison. And, here is a 1923 model with round hole. Musta changed over mid '20s. Well, I've never played one, but short scale and travel size body might be nice. Can you get a chance to play it, see what the tone is like? Frank, you'd have no trouble ringin' some tone out of it. Looks like they go for 2-3 grand. I love that second advert saying a 1923 is "preowned". Heh, heh.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 05:54:20 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2004, 07:16:14 PM »
Duh - guess I was thinking of the L-4's...  I'd like to get my hands on an L-37 - an L-00 sized archtop.  I've played a couple of Epiphones along those lines that were sweet!

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2004, 10:03:32 AM »
Hi Ramblin' Frank:

Nope, you are right, the L-3's are round hole arch tops.

Yes, I do hope to get to play it, hopefully this week. I'll let you all know.

Below is a history of the Gibson L-3 I lifted from

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson2.html#l3

1902 L-3 introduction specs:
Round sound hole with 3 inlaid rings of fancy colored wood, bound top, 13 frets clear of the body, bound ebony fingerboard, orange top finish, dark mahogany back & sides, available in 3 sizes.

1908 L-3 specs:
13.5" wide, herringbone middle soundhole ring, trapeze tailpiece with pins anchored in tortoise celluloid plate.

1911 L-3 specs:
Floral peghead inlay, pickguard added, slanted "The Gibson" peghead logo.

1914 L-3 specs:
Red mahogany finish, slightly shaded.

1918 L-3 specs:
Red mahogany sunburst finish, ivory finish by special order.

1924 L-3 specs:
Trapeze tailpiece with no pins.

1926 L-3 specs:
Maple back and sides.

1927 L-3 specs:
Oval soundhole.

1929 L-3 specs:
Round soundhole with checkered pattern on middle ring.

1932 L-3 specs:
Raised fingerboard.

L-3 discontinued in 1933.

This info directly contadicts the Photo from Frets.com

Alex
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:07:51 PM by GhostRider »

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2004, 04:23:44 PM »
Nope, you are right, the L-3's are round hole arch tops.

I've seen that link you posted, but the examples of L-3's dated as 1928 that I could find on the net (not many - just two) were f-hole examples.? I've played a couple of round-hole L-3's, but can't say for sure what year they were.? Can you find out from the seller what kind i is?? I'm really curious now!

Yes, I do hope to get to play it, hopefully this week. I'll let you all know.

Can't wait!

This info directly contadicts the Photo from Frets.com

True, but I think that photo is of a special order - and Gibson isn't exactly noted for their consistency.? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they occasionally produced f-hole L-3's either as a custom order, or because they thought it would be a cool way to bust up the monotony, or even if they only produced f-hole L-3's in 1928 in spite of the round-hole spec.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 04:25:51 PM by frankie »

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2004, 05:44:25 AM »
Slack, you build any this year? Bringin' em?

Peter

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2004, 08:10:37 AM »
Slack, you build any this year? Bringin' em?

Hi Peter,

I've got several ukes and a parlor guitar in progress, - now whether I'll finish them in time for PT is anyone's guess. I've got a number of other things going on  -- new job responsibilities, too much travel between now and then, finding some playing time and of course spending entirely too much time and having too much fun on the weenie forum  :P .  We'll see in July.  Speaking of which, I think I'll head out to the shop. :o

cheers,
slack

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2004, 11:12:36 AM »
I've got several ukes and a parlor guitar in progress

Any plans for another cigar-box mando (or two?) <g>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal