collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The blues come from behind a mule - Bukka White, told to Hawkeye Herman

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 56083 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
New (New or Old) Guitars
« on: October 08, 2003, 10:33:49 PM »
Well, I thought I'd start a thread for members to announce their latest acquisitions. Why? Well, I was useless at work today because I was waiting for delivery of a '33 rolled F hole, 12 fret, green Duco Duolian. YEEOOW!! Lots of wear and tear, but the finish is still pretty good. All original, case and all. Finally came at 2:30, just in time for break. Action is a little high at the 12th, but my intention is to start working on slide with it, something I've held back from so far, so it's just right. Sounds huge. Lots of sustain. Very different from the Style O. Well, as different as two sisters can be, but I was surprised. Well, I couldn't hold back from lettin' you guys know. Hope a little bragging is tolerated.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
https://www.facebook.com/WaxwingJohn

Noflatpick

Re:New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 09:54:13 AM »
Sounds like a fine old instrument, John.  How'd you come by this one?

No new guitars for me but my father-in-law recently gave me an old banjo uke.  It's been in his family for a long time and he claims it's over 100 years old.  Brand name "Banner Blue."  It's in very good shape considering the age and included the original case and a year 1921 book on how to play it.

Later on

Roger

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 10:40:35 AM »
Hey Roger,
Well, it's kinda interesting. I actually got out bid for it on ebay, but recognized the guy who got it. He's more of a collector of perfect examples, where I prefer to try to get great music out of well worn gits. Something that looks like it could tell a lot of stories appeals to me more. I try to coax the stories out with the music. I emailed him right away and said I knew it wasn't really up to his standards (he agreed, but said he couldn't pass up a rolled F hole 12 fret Duo), and if he was gonna turn it over anytime soon I'd be interested. He's a good guy, and within a few weeks, due to his having an opportunity to purchase a "minty" Don, he was looking to liquidate a few of his less than pristine models. He had had a few things fixed on it, but offered it at a fair price, well below what he could get, and I was a happy camper. I think in the long run it will need some work to make it really playable (like my "O") but it sounds and plays great under the slide right now.
That Banner Blue banjo sounds interesting. I've been listening to Cannon's Jug Stompers a lot lately, and I think there's quite a bit of banjo in some other early blues. Any one have any recommendations? Maybe you'll bring it next year?
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 10:42:13 AM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline swampman

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 12:33:23 PM »
Yo Weenies,

This is my favorate topic.  When, I think about all the money I didn't lose in the stock market which I put into vintage guitars, my investments have increased in value at least 30 to 40%.  Plus I get to play them.

My lastest acquisition is a 1951 Epiphone FT-110, frontier model.  The finish has been removed and then oversprayed with lacquer (ala John Lenon's guitars).  The guitar has acoustic sustain to die for.  There is a picture of me playing it on the guitar photo section.

The frontier model Epiphone was Dreadnaught shape for most of it's production run with the exception of 1949 - 1952, when it was the shape and size of a Gibson J-185.  It has laminate maple side and back and spruce top. I haven't amplified it yet, and probably won't.  I will make a quick recording and post it so you can hear the sound

Swampman

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 09:58:08 AM »

Chance of a lifetime . . .

Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own a signed John Lee
Hooker guitar and help the Sunflower River Blues Festival in Clarksdale.
To raise funds, the festival association is auctioning this rare signed
guitar on eBay till Friday. Check it out at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3705093908

John Lee Hooker signed and donated it when he was unable to perform here a
few years back due to health reasons.  The money will go towards keeping
Clarksdale's August 13-14 festival FREE!

Blind Willie Pace

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 07:12:12 AM »
I recently got a 1920 Stella in good playable condition but I had the neck reset and a new bridge made for it.? It is an unusual model in that it has oak back and sides(not unusual) and a yellow pine top, which so far is the only one I've ever seen.? It is as loud as anything I've ever heard and the tone is pure blues.? A real easy guitar to play and fall in love with.? If you have a copy of Neil Harpe's excellent book on Stella Guitars, it is pictured on page 36.? It is an absolute tone monster.? Anyone interested in checking out Neil's book can go to his Stella Guitar website? stellaguitars.com and look at photos etc.? He knows his stuff when it comes to Oscar Schmidt instruments.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 11:03:55 AM »
Neil Harpe's site at www.stellaguitars.com/ is a great place to visit and one I will add to the links section immediately.

We've said this before, but Neil is a guy who'd be great to get to Port Townsend.

uncle bud

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 01:35:16 PM »
I'm exceedingly tempted to pull the trigger on a plywood squareneck single cone Dobro I played yesterday.

Said to be about 10 years old this one is a real ugly duckling. It's a disgusting shade of sparkly pea-green with spray painted gold Hawaiian scenes. Yeeeuch!

Once you get past that it produces beautiful loud tones, with a perfect setup for lap steel.

If anyone knows about these guitars please chime in, I had not seen a single cone squareneck before.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 01:48:57 PM »
I have been working on Neil since last summer, and I may be visiting him next month. (BTW my little Stella is the one in the center of this gallery on Neil's site, with the cool inlaid tortoise shell pickgaurd, leaning against a tree) Unbelievably, our apartment was flooded again this week. Twice in one rainy season and never before in 25 years?!?! All guitars safe and sound, but it is very disturbing. Anyway, we will still probably make our trip back east and we've been planning on visiting Neil and his wife Alex. He is a great guy and also a fine, fine player. I've told him he could probably sell a few Stellas at camp, and maybe some of his artwork, too, now that I think of it, but if he came he would probably drive out in a little Volvo 1800 (how cool is that?) He admitted he's never been west of the Mississip, and would really like to do a cross country trip. I'll put some muscle on him and try to get him to post here, which I have done before. He hasn't been that active on other forums he frequents lately, tho'. He would be a great addition to PT.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 02:17:11 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 02:34:28 PM »
Hey Rivers, I have the roundneck version of that very same, Aniline green w/Mustard, OMI Dobro Hula Blues ('89). I like that color scheme better than the Black w/Orange or Brown w/Mustard options, but there's no accounting for taste. You just have to wear an aubergine hawiian shirt when you play it. Mine had been upgraded with a Nat/R-P cone, and has a pretty good sound. Maybe a little weak in the Treble, but strong Mid and Bass. I don't really like the feel of the neck, but since you're looking at a square neck I guess that's not an issue. It also was fitted with some kind of pickup taped to the sound stick. This was definitely experimental as it probably was done in the early '90s, but it has a jack in the lower bout. Construction and finish are fine. As I now have two vintage Nats, I'm kinda looking to sell it. I paid The 12th Fret (Toronto) $900. US for it, about 2 years ago and it is in excellent condition. Any of this helpful?
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 03:06:30 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2004, 03:05:02 PM »
I met Todd Cambio at Clifftop last year and we've corresponded on and off about a couple of guitars that he had that could be rebuilt into something cool.  I'd love to have one of his 12-string repros, but I don't think I'm the kind of player that could really make something of an instrument like that.  Anyway, he just completed refurbishing a small (O-sized) Stella, and he sent me the attached pic.  It's got a new fretboard, re-set neck, new small maple bridgeplate, light french polish...  bunch of other stuff probably.  The best part is that I'm using ill-gotten gains to finance the acquisition:  banjo contest prize money!

It's got a shorter than usual scale length - perfect for me...  I'm such a wuss!  I like the sound of a short scale length on a guitar, anyway - kinda punchy.

I can't wait to grub it up a little!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2004, 03:12:59 PM »
Boy that is a little beauty, Frank. Which reminds me, I saw AYH last night playing one of Todd's 12 strings. Sounded great in Alvin's hands. At the break he told me the Freight was the only venue where he could get away with just mic-ing the guitars and not relying on pickups. Great show.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 03:14:41 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2004, 03:17:54 PM »

Hey Rivers, I have the roundneck version of that very same, Aniline green w/Mustard, OMI Dobro Hula Blues ('89)... Any of this helpful?

Very helpful indeed wax, I now have a place to start searching the net for the goss. Cheers!

Edit: found pics of the roundneck brown one, graphics are the same wax, no luck with the squareneck green one with inverted lap style tuners as yet. Hell I'm talking myself into haggling for this guitar on Monday.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 03:37:17 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 01:01:48 PM »
I brought the Hula Girl squareneck home with me, label on headstock says 'Duolian by Dobro'. Great to have a real acoustic lap steel with good setup and tone. It has nickel med-light strings on it so I guess it could be even louder.

Picture attached.

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 06:58:07 PM »
Well, the guitar I ordered from Todd Cambio came on Monday - I haven't been posting too much because I can't bear to put it down!  It's perfect...  it's got all the punch you could ask for and still manages to blend well with other instruments.  Tiny body, big sound!  It's responsive, balanced, and perfectly set up...  Todd really out-did himself.  I can't believe I own this guitar - usually other people's guitars are this good.  Man...  what the hell am I doing writing about it?  I gotta go play some more!

heheh - time to go play Sawmill Moan... <g>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal