collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Hammy Nixon: Well I know you can see better than I can. Sleepy John Estes: I'll ask Rachell, how do you feel Rachell? Yank Rachell: You don't need to see to play music. Sleepy John Estes: Well, now that's what I'm talking about...when I'm coughin' I create it out of my soul...Delmark records say, "We don't want any of that..good, right?...spoil it" - Yank Rachell's Tennessee Jug Busters conversation before Shout Baby Shout

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 39564 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2007, 10:32:16 AM »
A number of the artists Chris and John mention are available in small quantities on the Juke, mainly from the JSP set Mountain Blues, and a couple other compilations. The Skillet Lickers, Fiddlin' Doc Roberts, Burnett and Rutherford, Dick Justice, Leake County Revellers and others.

edited to add: just as an extra bit of information - some of these players are available on CDs from County Records - like Charlie Poole - who are generally thought to do a better job of remastering and have very good notes as well. Worth comparing, especially if you're not committed to getting complete recorded works. I don't own the Charlie Poole discs myself so can't say yea or nay, but the couple of County issues I do have are excellent. There is also a Columbia set and a JSP set of Charlie Poole, so one has a bevy of options there.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:44:07 AM by uncle bud »

Offline natterjack

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2007, 04:18:20 PM »
I have the Stripling Brothers Volume 1 and I'm not so keen on it compared to others. I bought it on the strength of the track "The Lost Child" which I heard on the "Down in the Basement" compilation and is a phenomenal track. Most of the CD isn't really like this, a few too many waltzes for me I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 04:23:54 PM by natterjack »

Offline banjochris

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2007, 09:37:46 PM »
I think "The Lost Child" is one of the greatest old-time performances ever. Some of the Stripling Bros. ragtime stuff is  very nice. Many old-time groups recorded a lot of waltzes; it's only in later years that they've fallen out of favor. Doc Roberts is an exception to that -- he only recorded three, IIRC. As I think I mentioned in our discussion of country blues players and waltzes, waltzes were some of the biggest hits of the "golden age" of 78s -- the Leake County Revelers' Wednesday Night Waltz/Good Night Waltz sold over 200,000 copies and was in print on 78 until the '40s, I believe. One side of Darby and Tarlton's biggest hit, Birmingham Jail (other side was Columbus Stockade Blues) was a waltz and sold around 250,000.
Chris

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2007, 08:40:30 AM »
This must be our lucky day  ;)  --Document just announced their "Mid Summer Madness Sale!"

http://www.document-records.com/

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »
Yup, there's almost 250 titles to choose from, a good chunk of them ?2.99, otherwise ?5.99. ?2.99 is approximately 6 bucks - quite a deal. Many we've seen already in their recent sales. Others we haven't.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2007, 08:36:07 AM »
Document's "Indian Summer" newsletter brings just twelve titles on special at ?5.99. There's some good stuff in there for people looking to flesh out their Bo Carter or Jim Jackson collections, and more -- though, alas, not 250 titles, and no ?2.99 specials.

BTW, there are several podcasts available for download on the Document site, taken from their Edison cylinders series, and one on 1920s country music.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »
There's some good stuff in there for people looking to flesh out their Bo Carter or Jim Jackson collections, and more

I'd recommend the Black Boy Shine and Black Ivory King disk.  Two excellent singing pianists from Texas.

Griffis

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2007, 09:42:12 PM »
One thing I've been able to get lucky on of late is scoring a few Documents to add to my collection by going through Amazon sellers. For instance, I've been needing the "Leecan & Cooksey Vol. 2" for quite awhile. It's been OOP for awhile, but I found an Amazon seller selling a new, sealed copy for $18.

I've bought from Amazon sellers about a half-dozen times and have always had great luck.

Fortunately, I started buying Document CDs in droves back in 1996 and never really stopped, so aside from a few comps (I lack some of the "Too Late Too Late" series), I have many dozens of Documents and pretty much own all their stuff I consider essential, though I do still buy them when I can. I'm not as big on piano blues, for instance, but I've been knocking those off and some of their hillbilly offerings, such as filling out my Kessinger Bros. complete and scoring the Walter Smih & Friends discs.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2007, 11:55:19 AM »
The Document Autumn Newsletter has hit my inbox and brings with it news of a bunch of back-in-stock titles and others being discounted, mostly for ?3.99. 168 titles are on sale and some very tough decisions to make. Lots to choose from: Bo Carter, Sylvester Weaver, Leroy Carr, many more; a bunch of the classic compilations like String Bands, Alabama Black Country Dance Bands, Texas Black Country Dance Music; plus a slew of women singers, all the Georgia White discs, Bertha Chippie Hill (who was discussed on WC recently); and then old-time and hillbilly.

Top of my list will be Mississippi String Bands and Associates 1928-1931. The rest is going to be hard to decide. Am curious about  St Louis 1927 - 1933, which has numerous obscure names: Spider Carter, Jelly Roll Anderson, Bert 'Snake Root' Hatton, Henry Johnson's Boys etc.

You can see the complete list at http://www.document-records.com/specials.asp

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »
Am curious about  St Louis 1927 - 1933, which has numerous obscure names: Spider Carter, Jelly Roll Anderson, Bert 'Snake Root' Hatton, Henry Johnson's Boys etc.

Then again, maybe not...

From the Penguin Guide to Blues Recordings:

"The artists on St Louis didn't record enough to get a CD to themselves; in the case of Jesse Johnson, one must be glad."

:D

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2007, 06:22:54 PM »
Documents are turning up cheaply in the used bins in Austin, a trend I've been noticing lately presumably as people rip their CDs to digital files and sell them off. Go for it, I say... Lately I've scored the Dixon Bros, Johnny Temple and Blind Roosevelt Graves.

Particularly good is the CD that accompanies the Paul Oliver book Yonder Come The Blues. It's a really nice collection, including Griots, Othar Turner, string bands and black & white country blues. Quality and selection are excellent and I highly recommend it. Sort of a concept album for country blues freaks. I'd like to read the book.

Offline banjochris

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2007, 10:04:59 PM »
Am curious about  St Louis 1927 - 1933, which has numerous obscure names: Spider Carter, Jelly Roll Anderson, Bert 'Snake Root' Hatton, Henry Johnson's Boys etc.

Then again, maybe not...

From the Penguin Guide to Blues Recordings:

"The artists on St Louis didn't record enough to get a CD to themselves; in the case of Jesse Johnson, one must be glad."

:D

Jelly Roll Anderson is also absolutely god-awful. There's one track of him ("Good Time Blues") on Yazoo's Times Ain't Like They Used to Be Vol. 3. Crappy lap-style slide guitar, and the vocal -- well, if you haven't heard it, imagine someone who doesn't speak one word of English and is a mediocre singer. Then give that person the ability to read phonetic symbols from the dictionary perfectly. Transcribe the lyrics of the song in those and let him at it, but not until you tell him to be sure to enunciate every last bit of every syllable.

Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2007, 06:08:01 AM »
Jelly Roll Anderson is also absolutely god-awful. There's one track of him ("Good Time Blues") on Yazoo's Times Ain't Like They Used to Be Vol. 3. Crappy lap-style slide guitar, and the vocal -- well, if you haven't heard it, imagine someone who doesn't speak one word of English and is a mediocre singer. Then give that person the ability to read phonetic symbols from the dictionary perfectly. Transcribe the lyrics of the song in those and let him at it, but not until you tell him to be sure to enunciate every last bit of every syllable.

Chris

LOL. Well, this CD is looking less and less appealing...   :D

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2007, 08:34:38 AM »
Well, I guess there's no accounting for taste - I'll stick my neck out and say I have always found Jelly Roll Anderson's work both weird and wonderful. OK, so the slide player only knows one lick... but he does have a unique style!

There's also a unique blues take on two Henry Johnson "Hawaiian" tracks - Blue Hawaii and Hawaiian Harmony Blues.

Anyhow, you do get Henry Moon and George Thomas on guitar (one of them is a pseudonymous Lonnie Johnson - worth your hard-earned money just for that!).

In fact I liked it so much I also got Document CD 5182 "St Louis Girls" (Katherine Baker, Lizzie Washington) because they used the same backing band to record - Henry Johnson & His Boys. On some tracks you get added celeste accompaniment!

Go on, swim against the tide, go ahead and and buy it!

Marshcat

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2007, 09:11:14 AM »
I'll side with Marshcat on this one, while agreeing in part with Chris. It is just the qualities that Chris describes that give it a certain charm all of its own, and thus its fits right in when properly sequenced in a compilation. Just a historical curiosity??--maybe, but there are a lot of songs that just don't "sound right" (whatever that means), but are appealing just the same. Maybe its taste--or maybe a high tolerance for this kind of thing that I've developed over the decades.

Perhaps we need a new topic, "Songs That Sound Terrible, But We Love All The Same," or some such thing.

It reminds me of one or two on "The Anthology of American Folk Music." When I first heard them, they rubbed me the wrong way, but now the AAFM wouldn't be complete without them. I'm sure that you know what I mean.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal