collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The minstrel and annex bands were features at the show grounds. Here were a group of colored minstrels, players, band people, under the direction of Edward Rucker... The band plays pretty airs of all kinds, suiting the music nicely to the work in hand. When the snakes were exhibited it played a charming waltz; somehow it fitted the exhibit; others were of similar propriety - The Indianapolis Freeman, July 4th, 1914, quoted in Ragged But Right by Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 39559 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »
By and large the majority of those in the ?2.50 bracket seem to be CDs featuring the lesser known female vaudevillians.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »
By and large the majority of those in the ?2.50 bracket seem to be CDs featuring the lesser known female vaudevillians.

And what's wrong with that?   ;D 

Seriously, I've picked up a few of those, and if the sale lasts long enough and the supply holds out, I'll get a bunch more when my bank account recovers.  There are depths to be plumbed in that whole "classic" female thing, and I, for one, have barely gotten one toe wet.  I especially love those disks that are compilations of a half dozen to a dozen singers who only recorded a few titles each.  The juxtapositions of techniques and styles and the occasional appearance of some minor gems is just wonderful. 

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
I imagine BH meant that as a positive thing, dj. Several folks have been talking about getting more familiar with the blues queens in the last year or so, like Cheapfeet.

[Edit] Duh! Just saw your smilie. They're kinda invisible to me.

Wax
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:17:39 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
https://www.facebook.com/WaxwingJohn

Willie Brown's Liquor at CD Baby

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2009, 11:35:51 AM »
I imagine BH meant that as a positive thing, dj. Several folks have been talking about getting more familiar with the blues queens in the last year or so, like Cheapfeet.

[Edit] Duh! Just saw your smilie. They're kinda invisible to me.

Wax
Yes my inference was now is the time for folk to acquaint themselves with this genre. I'm kinda irked that I had to pay full price for them but take solace in the fact that I've had 15+ years listening. This time next year will mark two decades of the Document project!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »
Yes my inference was now is the time for folk to acquaint themselves with this genre.

And that's how I took it, of course.  Just thought I'd throw in a bit of a blurb for stuff like that.  It really does make for (usually) interesting listening, and at the price, you can't go wrong!

This time next year will mark two decades of the Document project!

That's amazing.  It seems like only yesterday.  May Document live long and prosper! 

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »
Just thought I'd mention that those ?2.60 Blue Girls and Female Blues Singers discs are still available.  I realize that most readers of this post won't really be big fans of the "classic" female genre, but if you'd just like to dip a toe into the water, a few of these discs are ideal.  You get an average of about a half-dozen different singers per disc, with all manner of accompaniments - pianists (from superb early Duke Ellington to ham-fisted anonymities), hot jazz bands, treacly pop bands, vaudeville ensembles, and one very good anonymous violinist.  All kinds of voices, all kinds of styles, and it seldom gets boring because everyone gets a few songs and then shuffles off the stage of history.  I'm really enjoying them.  My favorite moment comes near the end of the last disc (Female Blues Singers, Volume 14) when Jelly Roll Morton tries manfully to accompany Billie Young's long melismatic, free-time yodel, then finally gives it up for a bad job and stops playing until she comes back into the verse.  They obviously hadn't rehearsed that!     

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2009, 06:36:20 AM »
Just thought I'd mention that those ?2.60 Blue Girls and Female Blues Singers discs are still available.  I realize that most readers of this post won't really be big fans of the "classic" female genre, but if you'd just like to dip a toe into the water, a few of these discs are ideal.
Definitely an acquired taste DJ, but one I have to admit to having.

I can?t imagine blues reissue companies of the future being brave enough to release this kind of material. It wouldn?t surprise me if in a decade these current "bargains" will be commanding silly auction prices. Johnny Parth only pressed sufficient copies of each to make them economically viable. I can?t see the current owners repressing once out of stock. Not even as CD-Rs.....  ;D

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2009, 07:10:13 AM »
It wouldn?t surprise me if in a decade these current "bargains" will be commanding silly auction prices.

There you go.  Buy them as an investment, if for no other reason!   :D

All the copies I got were from the original pressing in 1997.  I guess these haven't been really big sellers.

Offline jostber

« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2009, 10:27:58 AM »
Ordered these just the other day, several at greatly reduced prices:

Big Joe Williams - Vol 2 1945 - 1949
Blind Roosevelt Graves - 1929 - 1936
Kokomo Arnold - Vol 1 1930 - 1935
V.A. - Barrelhouse Piano Blues & Stomps - 1929 - 1933
V.A. - Gospel Classics Vol 3 1924 - 1942
V.A. - Negro Religious Field Recordings 1934 - 1942
V.A. - The Skillet Lickers - Vol. 6 1934

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Just thought I'd mention that those ?2.60 Blue Girls and Female Blues Singers discs are still available.  I realize that most readers of this post won't really be big fans of the "classic" female genre, but if you'd just like to dip a toe into the water, a few of these discs are ideal.  You get an average of about a half-dozen different singers per disc, with all manner of accompaniments - pianists (from superb early Duke Ellington to ham-fisted anonymities), hot jazz bands, treacly pop bands, vaudeville ensembles, and one very good anonymous violinist.  All kinds of voices, all kinds of styles, and it seldom gets boring because everyone gets a few songs and then shuffles off the stage of history.  I'm really enjoying them.  My favorite moment comes near the end of the last disc (Female Blues Singers, Volume 14) when Jelly Roll Morton tries manfully to accompany Billie Young's long melismatic, free-time yodel, then finally gives it up for a bad job and stops playing until she comes back into the verse.  They obviously hadn't rehearsed that!    

Hey, dj (or anyone else, for that matter), got any favorites volumes of these many discs?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:25:48 AM by uncle bud »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
...got any favorites volumes of these many discs?

I've already mentioned volume 14, but I should add that it's full of (mostly) better than average singers and some truly outstanding accompanists. 

Volume 5 features Dorothy Dodd, who was one of the earliest recorded female bluse singers, and really excellent.  Why she recorded so little is a mystery.  Jesse Derrick was based on the west coast and would probably have been a much bigger national star if there had been a recording industry out ther in the 1920s.  Madylin Davis also deserves to be better known.

And volume 6 has Dorothy Everetts and Ruby Gowdy who are excellent singers, and among its other artists are two that David Evans (who wrote the notes) doesn't think much of but who I find really attractive.  Georgia Gorham was a song plugger who got to record two songs on her own backed by the Black Swan studio band.  She doesn't have a conventionally good voice, but I find her rather compelling.  And Madam Hurd Fairfax was apparently the proprietress of a Chicago Singing school.  Her two songs are a wonderful example of how the black middle class would have sung the blues in their homes or at a social gathering.  It's a world we don't get to glimpse too often, and I love it when I have a chance to hear stuff like this.   

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2009, 10:09:43 AM »
Thanks dj, much appreciated. As I think I've mentioned before, I suspect that a detailed look at a lot of the women blues singers would reveal a lot of material we think of as male country blues really has its roots in early female blues, classic blues, and the African-American popular songwriting business that predates 1920s country blues.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »
I agree with the point you make in the last post, uncle bud, and apropos of that am starting a new thread on the earliest appearance of key lyric phrases, that can be amended as people find earlier versions of the phrase in question, either in recorded performances or in sheet music.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2009, 08:45:59 AM »
I received the Document Newsletter today. I don't know if there is anything on sale that hasn't already been mentioned, but there is at least one new release.

http://www.document-records.com/fulldetails.asp?ProdID=DOCD-32-20-16

http://www.document-records.com/specials.asp

http://www.document-records.com/index.asp

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2009, 09:11:51 AM »
I just ordered a Banker's Blues CD and another focused on the Bo-weevil.  Looking forward hearing these, they should be here any day now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal