collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

As the world changes, so does the blues. The blues are the true facts of life - Willie Dixon, Frets interview

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 39603 times)

Offline jostber

Re: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2008, 01:32:59 PM »
Anyway great to hear that they are coming back, and then hopefully backed by more stable partners.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2008, 06:47:19 AM »
Document has just put up an announcement on its web site that it's back to full operation and processing online orders once again.  Good to hear!

Offline jostber

« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »
Great news! I'll head right over. :)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
Has anyone ordered from Document lately?  With the pound's current swoon against the dollar, prices for ordering direct from Document for U.S. residents are very attractive, about $12.10 for a full priced disc.  I'm wondering if I should give it a try. 

Offline natterjack

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2009, 07:48:04 AM »
I just had a couple off them and all was well  :). One CD was out of stock but back in soon.
The search on the website isn't working too well at the moment for me though.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »
Has anyone else picked up "Mississippi Blues, Vol. 4" on Document? It's the one with the Robert Johnson tracks (widely available elsewhere, of course), but I got it for the four Otto Virgial songs and the Robert Lockwood Bluebird and Mercury recordings. Unfortunately, there seems to be an annoying and insistent clicking through several of the Lockwood tracks (and it's not the fault of the source material ? I'm very accustomed to the pops and clicks of old 78s!). It sounds like some digital remnants or maybe a fault in the manufacture of the CD. (I've actually purchased and returned it twice due to this problem.) I've contacted Document but haven't heard back (and no wonder, due to their recent travails). At the very least, consider this a bit of fair warning about this particular disc.
Jeff

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »
I have the disc and haven't noticed the clicking.  But that may have been because I was stripping paint off old windows with a heat gun while I was listening!   ::)  I'll have to give it another listen to check it out.  Any excuse to revisit some good music...

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
I'm interested to hear what you hear! (Go straight to the second half of Dust My Broom and the first part of Aw Aw Baby...)
Jeff

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2009, 03:25:48 AM »
Yep.  The last 4 Lockwood tracks have a clicking that sounds like a digital fault.

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »
the robert lockwood tracks are/were also available on the wolf cd"mississippi blues" wbcd-005.no pops or digital clicks.i`m not sure if this cd is still in print-but if you can get it it is superb,containing the complete recorded works of otto virgial,robert petway and lockwood from`35-`51.
                  take care lyndvs.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:46:27 AM by Lyndvs »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
the robert lockwood tracks are/were also available on the wolf cd"mississippi blues" wbcd-005.no pops or digital clicks.i`m not sure if this cd is still in print-but if you can get it it is superb,containing the complete recorded works of otto virgial,robert petway and lockwood from'35-'51.
Great minds think a like. The first thing I did after I walked in the door tonight was go and play that. Roots & Rhythm may still have it, here's what the Frank Scott has to say:

ROBERT LOCKWOOD: Black spider blues/Dust my broom/ I'm gonna dig myself a hole/ 'm gonna train my baby/ Little boy blue/Take a walk with me/ ROBERT PETWAY: Bertha Lee blues/ Boogie woogie woman/Catfish blues/ Cotton pickin' blues/ Don't go down baby/ Hollow log blues/In the evening/ Left my baby crying/ Let me be your boss/ My baby left me/ My little girl/ Ride 'em on down/ Rockin' chair blues/ Sleepy woman blues/ OTTO VIRGIAL: Bad notion blues/Got the blues about Rome/Little girl in Rome/ Seven year Itch

A sensational collection of Mississippi blues featuring the complete recordings of Otto Virgial and Robert Petway and the complete pre-war recordings of Robert Lockwood along with his 1951 session. Virgial, recorded in 1935, is an utterly obscure but exceptional performer with an powerful vocal style and intensely rhythmic guitar style which strongly suggests that he is from the Delta. Petway is an exciting Mississippi bluesman with a style very much like his friend Tommy McClennan with a powerful gravelly voiced, energetic guitar work on his steel bodied National and spoken asides and exclamations. The 14 tracks here are from 1941 and '42 and represent his entire output including his classic recording of the Mississippi blues standard Catfish. The four sides from '41 by Lockwood (his first) show the influence of his stepfather Robert Johnson overlaid with jazz elements and are all utterly sensational - I'm Gonna Train My Baby has some novel lyrics ("I'm Gonna Train My Baby To Shoot A Pistol Like A Man/If She Can't Trip the Trigger Than She Cannot Be In My Gang"!) and Little Boy Blue features some lovely single string slide guitar. The two '51 sides with Sunnyland Slim are fine versions of I'm Gonna Dig Myself A Hole and Dust My Broom. Every track on this disc is a gem, sound is generally good and there are informative notes by Alan Balfour. Essential! (FS)

Re-reading the booklet the 1991 notes are really showing their age!

Offline jostber

« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2009, 02:32:12 AM »
It seems like this was remastered in 2007. Is it this version?

http://www.document-records.com/fulldetails.asp?ProdID=DOCD-5682

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:52 AM »
Yes, that's the version. 

Fortunately, I have all the affected tracks on various Paula and Mercury anthologies.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »
An on-line article that mentions Document as a case study (scroll down--via the PWBG):

http://tinyurl.com/c5e98q

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2009, 02:29:06 AM »
For anyone who doesn't receive the Document newsletter:  For the first time in over a year, they have a selection of discs available on sale.  Good selection, and the prices are right around $5 and $9 US, depending on currency fluctuations.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal