collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

...and the next night you'd go and play the gig, and I'd say, 'Got it NOW! Hey, you wanna play that song?' And it was different again - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Bo Weavil Jackson  (Read 1382 times)

HardLuckChild

Bo Weavil Jackson
« on: March 16, 2005, 09:55:38 PM »
I just noticed that Bo Weavil Jackson is coming up on Weenie Juke. Is everyone familiar with him? I found out about him via Allmusic.com about two years ago, and then bought the Document disc with his complete recordings (thirteen songs, I think). The guy is an absolutely incredible guitar player. I'm not a musician, and I know many of you guys are. To me, it sounds like Jackson's guitar playing is just as dazzling as Robert Johnson's. I really enjoy the cracks, pops, and hisses of 20s blues records; it adds something extra mystical and frightening to the songs. However, the Jackson songs have quite a bit of these pops and hisses; maybe too much. I'm pretty sure Jackson recorded for Paramount, so that'd certainly explain things. The guy's guitar techniques is what I'd call spider-like; it sounds like there's a giant spider crawling quickly across a piano, but in reality, there is one man playing an acoustic guitar! I know there is a Lyrics section here on WeenieCampbell, but does anyone know of a website with all or most of Jackson's lyrics?

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Bo Weavil Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »
Hi Hardluck,

I'm just starting to listen to Bo Weavil. I agree he's tremendous fun, and am surprised he hasn't appeared even that much on the various compilations from Yazoo and others. Really nice, unusual guitar playing, and great singing. I don't think I'd actually heard him until I bought the Paramount Masters. Don't know of any lyric sites.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal