collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Negroes all be in there gamblin', you know and they shoot a Negro down... And some of them short guys be standin' around the crap table, the crap table is high, he can't get up there... Pull that dead man up there and stand on him and still keep shootin' dice - Big Bill Broonzy, Blues In the Mississippi Night

Author Topic: Book Recommendation ? Rising Tide by John M. Barry  (Read 421 times)

Offline eric

Re: Book Recommendation ? Rising Tide by John M. Barry
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
Excellent read.  I got this book on the recommendation of someone with whom I shared a professional interest in dam and levee performance.  It's all that, but it also does a great job of placing the flood, the Mississippi Delta, and the plantation system in historical and political context; I've not seen that in any of the blues histories.
--
Eric

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
Thanks for the recommend. I would've never found this book on my own.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »
It's one of the best books I've read in the last twenty years. If you want some cultural perspective on Mississippi in the 1920's Barry's book and Wardlow & Calt's Patton bio are the best places to find it in my opinion.

Both books are full of history, data and stories. I learned a lot reading Rising Tide. Thanks for mentioning it, I think I'll read it again. I recommend it unreservedly.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal