collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I got Sonny up to Harlem, and we started street playin' in New York. We did that for three or four years and survived. We brought it back to the streets again - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Shake ?Em On Down: The Blues According to Fred McDowell  (Read 1185 times)

Offline harriet

Re: Shake ?Em On Down: The Blues According to Fred McDowell
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 07:52:15 AM »
I`m in Agreement with BanjoChris here.I enjoyed it very much but would enjoy seeing the uninterrupted Newport festival footage even more.

I'm happy to stand corrected on this but I believe I saw a PBS Newport Special (or in further thought perhaps it ran on Bravo or another station)  a couple of years ago that McDowell performed in and they ran his audio for the most part over pans of the crowd. I'm not sure if more footage of him performing there exists.

For those interested there is audio of him through concertvault,com through membership from the July 27-28, 1968 Newport Festival, http://www.concertvault.com/mississippi-fred-mcdowell/newport-folk-festival-july-27-1968.html and http://www.concertvault.com/fred-mcdowell/newport-folk-festival-july-28-1968.html

The first pass I watched the video looking for new clips of him performing and was a bit disappointed but the second viewing and more, without that objective, I came to appreciate the perspective and commentary and got alot more out of it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:27:59 AM by harriet »

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:34 AM »
There`s certainly more footage out there Harriet.I did enjoy the documentary very much.Would love to see more of that footage though.Who wouldn`t?. :)
http://www.historicfilms.com/search/?q=MISSISSIPPI+FRED+MCDOWELL#p2
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:29:02 AM by Lyndvs »

Offline harriet

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
If you look at the left more closely under the "ADD REEL TO BIN" it says "not available for online viewing" or "by subscription". A year subscription is $100.

The high res clips without historicfilms watermark  run into the thousands and come with whatever liscencing restrictions historicfilms agreed to and are available to only credited documentarians like Joe York.  It says "inquire for liscencing" on the Newport Footage.

FEH!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:58:06 AM by harriet »

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
I share Your frustration Harriet.Knowing the footage of Fred is presently languishing somewhere.Was it Murray Lerner who shot the Newport footage?.Wouldn`t it be great if it were released.At least We can be sure there is no doubt about the existence of the footage. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:20:49 AM by Lyndvs »

Offline banjochris

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 03:31:05 PM »
There's footage of John Hurt and Robert Wilkins from Newport, too, that hasn't been released. Some unreleased Gary Davis footage popped up in the Harlem Street Singer documentary, and who knows what else exists? I'd like to see again the footage of Butch Cage and Willie Thomas from the Newport Jazz Festival that surfaced briefly on YouTube some years ago.

Offline harriet

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
The audio on concertvault.com is really  good if anyone is interested.

Tags: Fred McDowell 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal