collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Too many dirty dishes in the sink for just us two. You got me wondering, baby - who's making dirty dishes with you? - Albert Collins, Too Many Dirty Dishes

Author Topic: Document getting out of the CD business  (Read 4027 times)

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
Re: Document getting out of the CD business
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 08:55:06 PM »
A couple of really good sources on youtube are the channels of Nico Fournier, Random and Rare and Ragtime Dorian Henry. 

I owe a lot of my buying patterns to Ragtime Dorian Henry, just that beautiful YouTube spiral into new discoveries - fantastic.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline alyoung

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 03:01:42 AM »
I don't have a big collection by world standards, but I've gathered a fair bit of stuff over the years. A while ago I got a patronising put-down (on Farcebook) telling me how old-fashioned and unnecessary it was to have all those old records when everything was so readily available online. My response was to ask how these online services would have ever obtained all this wonderful material if it hadn't been for all those boring old-fashioned collectors. Didn't get a response.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »
Al: It was the result of what is commonly referred to as "The arrogance of the present." --Something that's not limited to music.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
stuart -

It is normally confined to the young who think that they know everything and do not need to bother with the past. It's also known as the tyranny of the present.

pbl

Offline jostber

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »
Hi all,
Maybe it is a factor of my age, but I don't see not being able to buy the CDs themselves as being a crucial loss, if the music is otherwise available.  Getting the CDs presupposes that one has the money to purchase the CDs--that certainly is not the case for many of the people who love the music.  Acting like the loss of information is so horrendous also neglects to consider what a relatively brief window in time it has been when all of this music has been relatively easily available.  Somehow or other, people managed to make it through the '60s through '80s when the first wave of Country Blues re-issues occurred, and there might be a period of several years in between instances of a title by a favorite artist being made available again.
Living plants and animals are not the only things that die--cultural artifacts are lost all the time, and music is especially susceptible to being lost.  Before the advent of recording technology, no musical rendition was ever re-heard, except in the minds of those who happened to hear it played the one time it was played.  And I suppose it might be heresy to say it here, but I don't think all of recorded Country Blues is exactly deathless.  A lot of it, especially '30s stuff, just to my taste, is pretty formulaic Pop music of the day.  In general, I've found myself feeling that the more titles a musician recorded, the less important it is that you hear and have all of them.
I see youtube as being hugely beneficial in this regard.  It allows people who don't have the money to purchase the CDs to listen to the music and that's pretty great.  I spent most of my adult life trying to "own" all of the music that I was interested in; I've come to realize that it is more important to me to be able to listen to music than to own it.
All best,
Johnm

I think this is really stupid. How can you ean that streaming is the future? Mp3?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »
Well, jostber, I suppose anyone can ean anything he wants to ean.  Speaking of stupid.
All best,
Johnm

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 09:53:40 PM »
Well, jostber, I suppose anyone can ean anything he wants to ean.  Speaking of stupid.
All best,
Johnm

Well played, sir, well played.
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal