collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I had to stop drinkin' though, 'cause I got tired of waking up in my car and driving 90 - Richard Pryor

Author Topic: J.T. Adams & Shirley Griffith - digital availability?  (Read 964 times)

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
J.T. Adams & Shirley Griffith - digital availability?
« on: March 27, 2016, 01:34:28 AM »

Hi,

I was listening to this great episode of "Blues unlimited"  https://beta.prx.org/stories/163573 and was introduced to J.T. Adams & Shirley Griffith's "Indiana Avenue Blues"...

Does anyone know if this album is available in digital form?

thanks

Z

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
Re: J.T. Adams & Shirley Griffith - digital availability?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
Bluesville did a reissue series many moons back but this one never made it onto CD nor did Shirley Griffith's terrific  Saturday Blues. Griffith also cut a good one for Blue Goose that also remains out-of-print. You can listen to some of the Bluesville sides on my radio program from a few years back: http://sundayblues.org/?p=6185

BTW - I know some of you are my familiar with my show so just a heads up that you can now listen directly on the website. We are using Mixcloud to deliver the shows and you can also find older ones at https://www.mixcloud.com/Bigroadblues/

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »
Bluesville did a reissue series many moons back but this one never made it onto CD nor did Shirley Griffith's terrific  Saturday Blues. Griffith also cut a good one for Blue Goose that also remains out-of-print. You can listen to some of the Bluesville sides on my radio program from a few years back: http://sundayblues.org/?p=6185

BTW - I know some of you are my familiar with my show so just a heads up that you can now listen directly on the website. We are using Mixcloud to deliver the shows and you can also find older ones at https://www.mixcloud.com/Bigroadblues/

Thank you Jharris, what an absolutely stellar setlist on that radio program! will definitely check it out.

Z

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:36:23 AM »
Jeff - the Mixcloud link is wonderful. Great to have access to all these shows. Is there another link you can post to the playlists? This is certainly the best thing to come along since the demise of Weenie Juke!

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
A link to the show notes are included in the description. So if you click on the show you should see a link like this: Show notes: http://sundayblues.org/?p=10718

If you go to www.sundayblues.org the player is embedded at the top of the show notes/playlist.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »
Excellent - thanks Jeff!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
I too would like to thank you, Jeff!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I bought most of these records in 1968 and they were a very important influence on my playing, singing and approach to the Blues. Its important to understand that these records were contemporary back then and appeared before or just as the first major wave of 78 reissues started emerging from companies like RBF, Yazoo, Biograph and others. Many of these musicians were still alive, these records only being five, six or seven years old, and I got to see and shake hands with Shirley Griffith at a concert at the Washington Square Church. I believe JT Adams was also on the bill. Much of my performing repertoire comes from these very records.
It also bears mentioning that Prestige Folklore or Bluesville issued the four spectacular, recordings of Reverend Gary Davis that became the most influential "Blues" recordings for guitarists, along with the one Robert Johnson re issue put out by Columbia records. At its hight, Prestige was arguably the most important Jazz and Blues and Folk revival label in the world. They also only cost about $1.98 as opposed to the much higher priced Vanguard, Columbia, Folkways records of the time. We have not seen its like since.

incidentally the volume on your radio show is quite low even with my computer sound at its highest setting. Anything to do about that?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »
Hmm.. not sure about this. Volume may vary a bit from show to show.

incidentally the volume on your radio show is quite low even with my computer sound at its highest setting. Anything to do about that?

Bluesville had some wonderful recordings. Among my favorites are the Scrapper Blackwell (too bad the one with Brooks Berry is out-of-print), Robert Curtis Smith and Smoky Babe along with the ones mentioned already. Lonnie Johnson cut some nice ones for the label as well.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »

I'm sure you've already done this, O'Muck, but I went to system preferences and boosted the sound to 100% from there. Volume was still very low, but much more listenable.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 04:53:25 AM »
O' -

Bluesville were a standard $3.98 list. I joined their "club"and  got them cheaper. Eventually drove over there to Prestige (I lived in North Jersey) and cherry picked their warehouse! I got the last six copies of the Eddie Kirkland masterpiece on TruSound LP and all the Bluesvilles I could eat @ wholesale... also the Larry Johnson on Prestige. $1.98 was probably a cut out price.

In CD times, the old LP (as CD) and the later second CD by Lonnie Johnson w. Elmer Snowden are brilliant and all should own them. Chris Albertson production is superbly sparse and lovely.

pbl

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
I used to get them at Music Inn on West 4th st. for $1.98. Got the Larry Johnson (Larry and Hank), The solo Scrapper album which is great, and the lonnie Johnson and Victoria Spivey album..also wonderful, Henry Townsend, Tampa Red, Memphis Slim, Furry Lewis along with under known greats like Memphis Willie B., Guitar Pete Franklin, Alec Seward, Smokey Babe, Wade Walton, both Shirley Griffiths, Baby Tate, Robert Curtis Smith. Also the sound on many of those records was really superior. Even the "field" recordings sounded good on that extra heavy vinyl they used, not to mention the Rudy Van Gelder recordings, or my favorites..the Scotty Moore's with extra dimensional super reverb! >:D .
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline hms

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
@jharris,
Thanks for the link to your shows.
Looks like lots of listening to do!
H

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 12:09:13 AM »
What a great and unexpected discussion this turned out to be! thanks to all! a lot of lucky people here! where I live you cant get ANYTHING as cool as all the albums mentioned here.

and @OMuck, shaking hands with Shirley Griffith?! well thats a heck of a cool thing to be able to say!

Z

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal