collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Tom Moore, yeah! [chuckles] Yeah! Let's see, oh well he can't hear me. 'Looked up and see how close the wall was to me, it ain't goin' out there... - Mance Lipscomb, intro to Tom Moore Blues, Live At The Cabale

Author Topic: Teddy Darby's Lyrics  (Read 24613 times)

Offline harry

Re: Teddy Darby's Lyrics
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2020, 07:16:02 AM »
I don't quite get the music theory behind it, but man, Pokino Blues is the bomb.

I don't understand it either and I'm familiar with blues walk ups and run downs on the piano.
What signature lick do you mean exactly John? The turnaround?

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
No, Harry, it's not the turn-around.  It's the little ascending run that he plays over the I chord in the first bar transitioning to the second bar after the first vocal line.  In the the first verse, Peetie Wheatstraw plays it immediately following the first time Teddy Darby sings "Pokino", and he lands it in the same place in the subsequent verses, as a little response to the first vocal line or word.  I probably over-stated it to describe it as a signature lick, it's probably more of a mini-signature lick or response lick.  Whatever the case, the sound of that little ascending run makes the whole song, instrumentally, as far as I'm concerned.  And of course, Teddy Darby's vocal is spectacular.  I've tried to get the effect of that walk-up on guitar in the past, and have not been successful, but I think I'll give it another shot. 
All best,
Johnm

Offline harry

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
Well, I recorded some piano trying to play that run (0.12-0.14) but I always end playing what you hear me play on the recording.
It doesn't make no sense to me to land on the major seven note. Nowhere in the whole progression.

I think Pokino Blues is a blues with the "Quick Change". Meaning going to the IV in bar 2 then back to the I in bar 3 and 4.
Doesn't Peetie just lands on a IV chord in bar 2. Maybe I'm missing something...

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
Hi Harry,
Yes, you're missing the run.  In the first bar of the first verse, on beats 3 + 4, playing in F, Peetie Wheatstraw hits, respectively, D-Eb-E natural.  That E natural note on beat four of that first measure is the major seven note of the key of F to which I was referring.  You're right, the song does go to a IV chord in the second bar, but the walk-up in the first bar is to that major seven note, which is such a wild, "wrong" sound, and that was the sound that I was commenting on in my unintelligible analysis in the original post.
All best,
Johnm

Offline harry

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
I think I understand it now even if it doesn't make sense.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2020, 02:59:24 PM »
Harry, the sense is in the sound, not the explanation.  This music doesn't have any rules.
All best,
Johnm

Offline harry

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2020, 05:29:40 PM »
The sense is in the sound, not the explanation.  This music doesn't have any rules.

Could be one for the quote generator.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2020, 09:07:45 PM »
Could be one for the quote generator.

Ha!  Couldn't agree more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal