collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Those who bite, shall be bitten - Kid Prince Moore, Bite Back Blues

Author Topic: Oscar Woods' tuning... Man...  (Read 2092 times)

LoneWolf

Oscar Woods' tuning... Man...
« on: December 15, 2006, 02:55:08 AM »
I'm copying this text from another forum, I hope that here I'll be able to get help with this:

"I'm going crazy... I spent the whole day listening to Oscar Woods' songs "Lone Wolf Blues" (the inspiration to my nickname) and "Evil Hearted Woman", with a guitar and a slide in my hands, trying to play it... I just can't find out what tuning he used. It's unbelievable. Those songs are in the key of G, but it's not the regular open G tuning that people like Son House and Muddy Waters used... He did something so bizzare with at least one of the strings... I think that his friend Black Ace used similar tuning, but I'm not sure..."

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
Re: Oscar Woods' tuning... Man...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 03:38:58 AM »
He did something so bizzare with at least one of the strings...

It's not bizarre - just a different tuning.  Low to high:

GBDGBD

It's used a lot in bluegrass/old-time by dobro players.  I've heard it called 'high bass' tuning, probably in one of those circles.  John Jackson used it to play some bottleneck pieces.

Edited to add - actually, John Jackson played slide with a knife type of thing, maybe a bar would be a better description...  it didn't look anything like the bars associated with lap-style playing, and he played with the guitar in an upright position (like bottleneck players would hold it).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:54:48 AM by frankie »

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Oscar Woods' tuning... Man...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 09:55:12 AM »
I love Oscar Woods and it seems he used open G or the high bass G (or Dobro tuning as it's called) as Frankie says which is GBDGBG .

And, don't forget he played lap style, like wot I do ... I've just put the guitar down, but if I remember I'll try and listen to the song.. any particular bit you are stuck on (or shall I brave and take a guess as if thats the same bit, I had to have it explained to me !!) I have a few musical bits about him.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:58:14 AM by Richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags: Oscar Woods 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal