collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: First Blues--notable examples  (Read 1402 times)

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
Re: First Blues--notable examples
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 11:47:11 PM »
If I recall, Son House said that the first tune he learned how to play was "Hold Up Sally, Take Your Big Legs Offa Mine."

I heard the same from an interview with Jeff Todd Titon in 1971.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »
Hi all,
In an interview with Samuel Charters, Jaydee Short gave "East St. Louis" as an example of one of the very first blues he heard, and does a wonderful rendition of it a capella.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Willie Poor Boy

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
To return to John Hurt, I started reading Philip Ratcliffe's book and there is cited an interview Hurt gave to Dick Spottswood where he identified Hop Joint and Good Morning, Miss Carrie as the first songs he learned during his association with a local guitar picker named William Henry Carson (who was courting John's school teacher at the time).  Hurt's first guitar incidentally was either nicknamed "Black Annie" or he believed that to be the name brand in error.

Hop Joint sounds like it would have been the instrumental basis for Frankie and some of the lyrics might have even recommended the tune to be used for that story. 

I guess both tunes were "pre-blues" so his assertion about Joe Turner would not be contradicted.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal