collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

She specialized in low-down blues "because they didn't come up to Harlem to go to church" - Ethel Waters on singing ungodly raw songs for her audience, Nobody Know Where the Blues Come From

Author Topic: Doodle It Back  (Read 505 times)

Offline blind zippo

• Howdy!
Doodle It Back
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »
I came across this phrase while transcribing the words from Rev. Emmett Dickenson's 1930 recording "It's Your Time Now". After admonishing "sweetbacks" in his congregation about wearing "box back coats and bell bottom pants, he goes on to say "You men calling yourselves P.I If you knew what P.I. was you would doodle it back."
A year earlier the Charleston Blues Trio, another name for the Southern Blues Singers recorded "Doodlin' Back" for Gennett. This unknown group was accompanied by Cow Cow Davenport according to Dixon and Godrich, though on this side only a guitar is audible  (perhaps Buster Johnson who shared the session). The chorus is "Doodlin' back, they all doin' the doodlin' back. Don't never let me catch you doin' the doodlin' back ." It makes me think perhaps it was a dance step. Also the use of the name Charleston if W.VA is meant would place it close to Huntington where Rev. Dickenson was then living.
Then there is Charlie Lincoln's "Doodle Hole Blues" from 1930.  He of course was from Georgia.
So, does anyone know of a dance called the Doodlin'Back /Doodle it Back? Is there any known meaning to the phrase?

Offline Malcolm_Pommie_Platt

• G'day All
Re: Doodle It Back
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »
According to "Barrelhouse Words, A Blues Dialect Dictionary":
Sexual intercourse, an apparent embellishment of doodle. As with various sexual terms, it ostensibly refers to a dance.
There's a song by Sam Theard titled Doodle It Back. http://redmp3.me/23667075/lovin-sam-theard-doodle-it-back.html

Offline David Kaatz

Re: Doodle It Back
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Or this youtube link for Sam Theard that doesn't require registering for some unknown (to me) music sharing site.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal