collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

You hear these songs, and they're incredibly moving. But when we talk about it as being raw or authentic, it discounts just how hard this stuff was to play and how musically sophisticated and innovative it was. There's a sense of almost remarginalizing it by talking about it as this primitive music that sprung up in the cotton fields, when in fact, it's incredibly skilled and impressive music - Amanda Petrusich, author of Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78 rpm Records

Author Topic: Hagstrom BJ12 12 String acoustic 1970ish  (Read 1176 times)

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
Hagstrom BJ12 12 String acoustic 1970ish
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »
I just purchased a Hagstrom BJ12. It's a beautiful 12 string acoustic. The guy who sold it to me said it was from the 60's but I'm more inclined to think it's a 70's model due to the fancy head stock. It came together perfectly. I was listening to Blind Willie McTell trying to pick out some of his tunes and thinking "man I wish I had a 12 string". So I popped on kijiji.ca a buy and sell website and there it was the Hagstrom 12 string for $400 Canadian. It came with a very nice hard shell case with green interior. I checked my bank account and had just enough extra dough to afford it. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I am quite pleased to have it. I tuned it to D standard for a little more McTell style tone. It only has light gauge strings so I didn't want to go too low.

I have all the acoustics I felt like I 'needed" now. haha. I just picked up a Gretsch New Yorker arch top acoustic about a week ago which is now my main guitar and I've had a Dobro for slide guitar for about 2 years now. I also picked up a Grestch Electromatic Centerblock Electric last year. I have a nice tube amp to play it through but I barely play electric these days.

Such a beautiful full tone from this Hagstrom. Anyone else play Hagstrom guitars?

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
Re: Hagstrom BJ12 12 String acoustic 1970ish
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »
I remember Zappa used to hawk Hagstroms in magazine ads back in the days.  I have never owned an acoustic  (although I did own a Hagstrom bass for a bit in the mid01960s) but I do have a friend who has a BJ-12.  A cool pawn shop find.  A big old guitar with possibly the coolest looking tailpiece I have ever seen.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »
Here is some pics

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
bridge and head
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:19:03 AM by EddieD »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »
Pretty cool looking.  How's it sound?
Was the zero-fret removed?    Tom

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »
It sounds really good. Deep projecting tone. I've tuned it down to D standard and it sounds amazing. I recently dropped it to C and it still sounds great however I need some heavier strings. I'm very pleased with the guitar over all.

As far as I know there was never a zero fret. Either that or it was removed long before I got my hands on it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 06:04:06 PM »
Back in the early 70's a friend, Micky was his name, was one of the best players around our scene in Brighton, Sussex, UK. He had one. He experimented with it a lot and finally settled on stringing it up with 9-strings, doubling up only the bass side, if I recall correctly. Sounded fantastic and unlike anything I'd heard before, or since, for that matter. I can still hear it in my head.

I would certainly jump on a Hagstrom 12 if one showed up around here.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »
That certainly would make for an interesting sound. I always found the octave on the G string would throw me off at times on 12 strings. However tuning the guitar down I don't find it jumps out as much to my ears. But like I said the more I play this guitar the more I'm loving it. I'll have to try and record something with it soon.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal