collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

No matter what a young person thinks he or she is really hot stuff at doing, he or she is sooner or later going to run into somebody in the same field who will cut him or her a new asshole, so to speak - Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

Author Topic: Who is your best country blues lyricist  (Read 2033 times)

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
Re: Who is your best country blues lyricist
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »
I would have a harder time coming up with a list of lousy lyricists in our genre, frankly. In fact I can't really think of any. This topic did make me think about it but the resulting list was too long, with too many deserving top positions. So I learned something about my own appreciation of it all, and of what I listen for in the greater country blues.

Leadbelly versus Lemon? Who wins that battle of the titans? Rhetorical question, don't answer.
Leadbelly and Lemon were incredible, from what I have read about Huddie Leadbetter he had an amazing memory library of tunes where he could remember more that a hundred songs, I think that's incredible especially as I forget verses and B lines often even of tunes I do on a regular basis (maybe too wrapped up in the guitar playing). As for bad lyricists in country blues I never heard anyone in that category either. The comment above about Lightnin' Hopkins is so true, the man was a modern day bard, a troubador and probably the biggest advertisement for the Key of E in the history of the world and I never get tired of hearing him.
                                Bukka White was still a dynamic guitarist late in life but I agree his 40's stuff was very potent, lyrically and musically. J.T. Funny Paper Smith was a great lyricist and storyteller too, Bo Carter is the funniest blues lyricist for mine but Blind Blake is hilarious too, both had great delivery and as we all know they were guitar masters of a very high order. Thanks for all the great replies here guys, this thread has been tremendous.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline DrJim

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 07:45:59 PM »
My first post!

The Mississippi Sheiks capture the historical reality of inter-war America as well as any...

Offline Surbhar

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
How about Pearl Dickson, Little Rock Blues?

I started to heaven, but I changed my mind
I started to heaven, but I changed my mind
But I'm going to little rock, where I can have a better time

I'll second Booker White and Big Bill. Also have a special place in my heart for John Hurt.
Denise
Denise

Offline banjochris

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 05:10:11 PM »
She's starting for Helena, unfortunately!

Offline Surbhar

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »
Why aren't they one and the same  :)
Denise

Tags: songwriting 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal