collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Ain't but 5 dollars a head, and I guarantee you when you leave, you leave knowin' more than you know before you come there, and you'll know more than I took your money - Rev. Gary Davis offers guitar lessons to the audience, c. 1970

Author Topic: Paramount Box set volume two  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Paramount Box set volume two
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »
Who am I to judge? I have everything on the discs already after collecting CDs for years. The collateral wrapped around this collection interests me not one jot. If I had nothing, and was motivated to build a collection pretty fast, I might go for it. But I still wouldn't have half of what I'd accumulated from labels other than Paramount, from eras beyond the demise of Paramount. I daresay Jack White's heart's in the right place, though it does seem a tad pricey and hugely overdone to the point of, dare I say it, hype.

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 09:58:04 PM »
"collateral wrapped around this collection"
FWIW, I think the music is of lesser interest than the books and artwork included with each set.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 06:30:11 AM »
"FWIW, I think the music is of lesser interest than the books and artwork included with each set."

For the savvy web user you can get everything in this set for free online.  Its pretty easy to get rid of watermarks now with dirt cheap or open source software.  Same with the music.  I have friends that privately say that they will only pay for music, artwork, and photographs concerning country blues if the descendents of the musicians get a cut.  Since that is almost NEVER the case they won't pay.  I myself don't want to keep an attorney on retainer to fight off Levere and others if caught pirating it.  I get it though, why pay a very rich white man money for music made 80 years ago when that person did absolutely nothing to create or produce that music and the person who did died in poverty and constant oppression. 

Offline wreid75

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »
Well people have been buying led zepplin albums for over 40 years and paying the entire time for music that was stolen.  The musicians and/or heirs were still alive then to have benefited from having their music reproduced.  It might be hypocritical but I have yet to ever meet an individual and know them for any period of time without finding many things about them that they are hypocritical about, self included.  Being hypocritical about this is far less severe than a hypocritical arms or drug dealer.  That said, if I stumbled upon Sorry Blues/Grandma blues and Kicking in my Sleep/window blues with Willie Brown's photograph at a Goodwill store you can bet your sweet ass that I would make as much as I can off of it.  All I would have done was be lucky enough to know about the missing records and be in the store at the right time.  If someone later photo shopped a copy of the image and burned a copy of the songs for their own use I would have a lot of balls suing them for doing it. 

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »
Perhaps intemperate, but my opinion, nonetheless.

There's no way I would actually spend money OR waste any time on the planet WISHING I had the money to spend on this set.

Paramount was, first and foremost, a FURNITURE company. They cared not one whit about the quality of the records they produced and it is a pure fluke of history (not to mention a CRUEL JOKE) that it is some of THEIR carelessly pressed discs that occasionally contain some of the most amazing music ever made. The rest of it is basically dreck because at heart they were furniture salesmen engaged in a happy accident in pursuit of a buck. All of it was secondary and expendable in comparison to the money that could be made. In that sense, I suppose there's some kinship with this re-packaging.

Yes, it's a miracle some of the music persisted and came to us still listenable.

Notwithstanding, this set is disturbing in that it is equal parts misguided, opportunistic and fetishistic.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »
Thanks frankie, you helped me understand in detail my discomfort about this project. The irony is indeed spectacular, and thanks for pointing it out.

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 06:38:33 PM »
yer welcome, Rivers.

Offline Willie Poor Boy

• Howdy!
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 03:44:34 AM »
Off topic, does anyone here own any of Paramount's furniture?  It's funny that an afterthought line of business is what produced anything lasting. 

Just to defend them for a moment however, except for the profit seeking of Paramount it's unlikely we would know of Bobby Grant or Marshall Owens or 50 other people one might esteem less or more.  Their cost cutting approach is probably what allowed them to go where no one else was going and capture what no one else would have captured--fast cheap and out of control could have been their motto.  The offsets fall between lamentable (but everyone here is used to hiss) and appalling given what happened to their library.

The folk process was not going to survive recording technology and almost the entirety of localized culture everywhere has been buried under mass produced entertainment products made by people far away with no connection to those who consume it in their isolated living spaces.  Inadvertently or not, that same recording technology saved part of what it buried -- but it would have saved a lot less if only Columbia were in the game. 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
You make a really interesting point, Brad, that Paramount's low-balling of the costs of putting out records made possible the outcome of making recordings of a lot of artists and music that otherwise would probably never have been recorded.  I've long felt what a positive thing it was that the record companies recording blues basically had not a clue what would sell.  Thus they ended up recording a lot of stuff that from our perspective had no real prospect of selling in any kind of volume, but was nonetheless fascinating, stuff like Red Hot Old Mose's "Molly Man".  So it looks as though in Paramount's case, at least, cheapness and ignorance worked to music lovers' benefit.  I can get behind that.
All best,
Johnm

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »

I've got a bunch of chairs...Well made, Craftsman style pieces.

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
So it looks as though in Paramount's case, at least, cheapness and ignorance worked to music lovers' benefit. 
IMHO it definitely works towards today?s blues and jazz lovers? benefit: If because of saving money, a record company has to rerecord successfully selling songs because the masters were used up and for the same reason, was forced to regularly issue several takes of one song, this is definitely a blessing today :)
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »
For December only, Third Man is offering both Vol. 1 and 2 for $650. When you factor in postage, it's $680-$725.

I said I was never going to pay $400 for one of these sets, but I was completely seduced by this offer and decided to take the plunge. This is by far the most I've ever spent for a recording, but what the hell, you only live once. I like the idea of having all the essential Paramounts in one place. I also like the look of all the books that go with it.

I might regret the decision. What I hope most of all is that by supporting this project, Third Man will be inspired to invest in a similar set for the Okeh 8000 series. Wouldn't that be great?

http://thirdmanstore.com/featured/the-rise-and-fall-of-paramount-records-volume-1-volume-2-bundle

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
Notwithstanding, this set is disturbing in that it is equal parts misguided, opportunistic and fetishistic.

I have serious doubt even on the 'labour of love' angle that many seem to believe about this.
Clearly a deal of design and production work has been done - but to what end?
Much is mentioned about the books included - but surely it's the quality of the writing, information & content that matters - not the fact that there are books or what their binding is or how many pages

My doubts are largely prompted by remembering the first 2 batches of Third Man LPs. (I made comment about them somewhere here). There were some really bad issues . Wrong track listings, wrong timings, incredibly banal liner notes, average pressings and (in some cases) tricked-up sound.
At the time I thought, 'oh well a few little errors but at least they're bringing the music to a new generation'.

Looking back, I'm not so charitable. I think - what, - this is how you start a labor-of-love-record label? - this is your shoddy opening statement to the world? 

Doesn't mean that this box is equally bad, but it shows every sign of a misguided fetishistic approach to its subject.  I get kind of disturbed thinking of people paying a 'special sale price' for both boxes of $650.  The rise and rise of the 'deluxe box set' as a consumer object of desire arguably has a lot to answer for.

Frankie's comments from back in Febuary, I agree with.

Tags: Paramount