collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I'm an uncomfortable horrible terrible unconsolable unlucky man - Allen Brothers, Unlucky Man, 1931

Author Topic: Fraulini Baritone Guitar  (Read 569 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Fraulini Baritone Guitar
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
Hi all,
Pan's post of his new guitar that he had Devin make for him made me realize I should post some pictures of a baritone guitar that I had Todd Cambio make for me recently.  The top is hemlock that a friend of Todd's salvaged from an industrial facility in the upper Midwest from the late 1800s.  The back and sides are cherry that my brother Alan found in Pennsylvania, about forty years old and perfectly quarter sawn.  I've had the guitar about two months and it has been fun getting to know it.  It is tuned a fourth low from standard tuning on a conventional guitar, BEADF#B so that when you finger an E chord, it sounds a B chord.  Todd really did a beautiful job with it.
Here are some photos of it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
Re: Fraulini Baritone Guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
  John, That guitar looks great!  I was visiting with Todd about a month ago and he told me about this guitar.  Way to go on using slightly unconventional domestic woods.  I'm a big fan of cherry.. it's beautiful, easy to work, and sounds great.  I look forward to hearing you on it.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
Congratulations John!

A beautiful guitar indeed!
What scale length is it, and what kind of strings do you use for it, if I may ask?
I had always thought, for some reason, that you have to have a 12-string guitar, to tune that low. A great idea to make a 6-string baritone.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
Congrats, John--and to Todd as well for the build. I'm looking forward to hearing you work your magic on it. Best of luck with it and may it bring you many years of enjoyable music making.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
Beautiful looking guitar. Bet it growls!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:02:13 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the good words.  I agree with you about cherry, Devin, and it's the reason I wanted it in particular for the back and sides.  Every guitar I had played with cherry back and sides had a really nice, kind of "pre-broken in" sound, quick response time, warm, not a whole lot of sustain or argumentative overtones.  The hemlock has been a complete surprise to me--I'd never heard of it being used, but Todd said he really liked the results he'd been getting from it and I trust him, so I wasn't conflicted about the choice.  I'm glad we went with it, as I think it sounds and looks great.
Pan, I think the scale length is 26.9 inches, but I'm not sure.  Todd described the string set as his standard set, going from .013 to .066.  I may try slighter higher gauges on the first two strings when I change them, but I want to give this set every opportunity to show what it can do first.  I'm really glad to have an instrument with pitch this low that does not have octave courses at all.  I was hoping that it could handle harmonically complex voicings, but was not assuming that it would, necessarily.  As it turns out, those kinds of chords are not a problem at all, so I'm very happy about that.
Prof., it really does growl when you want it to, and works perfectly for stuff that was low-tuned on the original recordings like Rosa Lee Hill's material.  In a way, I'm surprised by how versatile it is turning out to be in terms of what sounds good on it.  I am sure having fun with it.
I'll try to post a couple of more pictures.  The first time I tried I over-loaded it and it wouldn't accept the post, so I got a little gun-shy.  Here goes.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:41:58 AM »
All these new guitars are giving me severe GAS.Lovely instrument. Very unusual top wood.

Offline pete12string

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:01:43 AM »
Glorious.   Neat choice of woods.  Todd's guitars are beautiful and sound great.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal