collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The piece ended with one of the slide solos that only he could play - sure and skilled, sensitive and moving. If there wasn't to be more of Blind Willie Johnson's guitar and his voice, it would be difficult to think of a more fitting way for his music to fall silent - Blind Willie Johnson, last recording described by Sam Charters

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 124842 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #2160 on: July 06, 2020, 05:35:05 AM »
Ill shift to A form the 1st.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2161 on: July 15, 2020, 12:40:16 PM »
Hi all,
I'm sorry to be so long providing the answers to the two David Wylie puzzlers, especially since there have been no responses for some time now.  The answers are as follows:

For "You're Gonna Weep And Moan":
   * His playing position was A position in standard tuning, as pretty much everyone had it.
   * The lick that he played I very much associate with John Lee Hooker's playing of "Hobo Blues", in Spanish tuning, though John Lee may have played it also on his version of "Crawling Kingsnake", with which I'm not familiar.

For "Baby, You Don't Mean Me No Good":
   * David Wylie was once again playing in A position in standard tuning.

David Wylie sounds quite young on these recordings, I think.  I like the way that he doesn't worry about his lyrics rhyming--it makes them feel more conversational.  If I recall correctly, he was located during the rediscovery period of the '60s--'70s, but was not interested in performing or being recorded again.  Perhaps he had had a bad experience in his previous involvement in the music business, or simply had stopped playing.  I don't know.

I hope folks liked the songs, and thanks in particular to those who responded to the puzzlers. There was a really high percentage of correct answers this time.  Well done, and I'll look for some new puzzlers to post.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:08:07 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2162 on: July 28, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »
Hi all,
We haven't had any puzzlers in a little while, so I thought I'd post two from a musician whom I don't think has been featured in this thread before--Bo Carter.  For both of these songs, all that's being asked is what playing position/tuning was used to play the song, and what you heard that pointed you in the direction of your choice of playing position/tuning.  The first song is "She's Your Cook But She Burns My Bread Sometimes".

The questions on "She's Your Cook But She Burns My Bread Sometimes" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Bo Carter use to play the song; and
   * At what point in the rendition did you hear something that made your choice for you?

The second song is "Loveless Love".

The questions on "Loveless Love" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Bo Carter use to play the song; and
   * At what point in the rendition did you hear something that made your choice for you?

Please use only your ears and guitars to arrive at your answers, and please don't post any responses before 8:00 AM your time on Friday, July 31.  Thanks for your participation and I hope you enjoy the songs.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #2163 on: August 02, 2020, 04:41:54 AM »
I've struggled with this, but here goes:

"She's Your Cook But She Burns My Bread Sometimes" in C standard. I'm hearing the first couple of chords at the very start as C going to an A minor.

Both tunes have a similar guitar break starting from a D shaped chord
--2--                                                  --1--
--3--   going to the minor (? I think ?)   --3--
--2--                                                  --2--
 for "She's Your Cook" I'm hearing this shape starting up at around the 12th fret and for "Loveless Love" at around the 8th fret. For both tunes I'm hearing them finish on, what I'm assuming to be, the 7th of the key they are in.

Which leads me to suggest "She's Your Cook" is in C standard and Loveless Love is in G. I'm hearing the latter played on all the top strings so I'm not sure if G standard or Dropped G. I'll say G standard as I would guess Bo Carter would use the open G on the 5th string if he had tuned it down, but I can't hear this. But, as they say, because I can't hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist :-)

All the best,
Ned

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #2164 on: August 02, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
I play both Bo Carter tunes in Half-Spanish.They just have similar moves to other Carter tunes I know are definitely in that tuning.Not sure though,Bo would play similar sounding stuff in multiple tunings.I`ll go Half-Spanish for both.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2165 on: August 02, 2020, 09:39:29 AM »
Im going to say B standard for the first one and Ab for the second. In both he does his regular G6 tuning moves (instrumental break on first one, entire backing on second) but he only seems to be striking the top three strings for the most part. This makes me think hes tuned to standard tuning and is pitching his accompaniment to where his voice is best suited. In Shes My Cook he seems to be using closed chords for the intro and vocal accompaniment (F shapes and C7 shapes), so in placing my answer at B standard Im assuming hes tuned at around concert pitch. That said, Im probably totally wrong!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:02:29 AM by Prof Scratchy »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2166 on: August 06, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »
Hi all,
Any other takers for the two Bo Carter puzzlers?  Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #2167 on: Today at 07:04:50 AM »
This was really tough for me and I don't have a lot of confidence in my answers.

For "Burns my Bread" I had been messing around in standard tuning playing long A shapes, but there was a dissonant open 4th string that I was hearing during the break. Could it be that this is in B-Flat? I don't know of other songs that may use this key.

I didn't spend a lot of time with "Loveless Love," but right in the intro with a similar chord pattern as "Burns My Bread" (D-shaped G & G minor chords) I could also hear the open 4th string. So I think that one is in G, standard tuning.

Bo Carter is an intimidating player for me (very sophisticated style to my ears). And I've read on this site that he uses some open tunings that I have not played with, so I could be way off.

Cheers!

Edited to correct a misspelling.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:06:21 AM by Forgetful Jones »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal