collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

It is from the blues that all that may be called American music derives its most distinctive characteristics - James Weldon Johnson

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 115445 times)

Offline eric

Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #2115 on: February 27, 2020, 07:03:31 AM »
I think he's playing out of C position with the guitar tuned a couple of steps low, and at the first "sign," he's sliding the C shape up two frets, and at the second sign, he does the same thing with the G7 shape.
--
Eric

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #2116 on: February 29, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
This is a beautiful piece. I've gone around in circles a bit on this one but have come around to it being played out of C in standard but about a whole step low. There's a part of this that reminds me of Rev Gary Davis' 'A Little More Faith in Jesus'.

Still unsure about what's going on behind the 'sing' parts though.

All the Best,
Ned

Offline eric

« Reply #2117 on: February 29, 2020, 02:06:24 PM »
Old Man Ned is correct I think.  I meant two frets, not steps, low.
--
Eric

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2118 on: March 03, 2020, 06:14:21 AM »
Agree C standard tuned low. For the first 'sign' he could be playing a first position G shape and sliding it up two frets from third to fifth fret. For the second 'sign' he could be doing this too, or maybe it's a first position C shape with the pinky on the third set of the first string slid up two frets?

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #2119 on: March 04, 2020, 02:43:01 PM »
Here's my take on it:
Position: C standard, tuned a full step low sounding at Bb.
The choruses are a great example of melody taking the bass for a ride, as he plays:
x3xxx3 slid to the 5th fret behind the first "sign" and:
3xxxx3 sliding up to the 5th behind the second "sign".
Great number that I might decide to cover myself! :)
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #2120 on: March 04, 2020, 07:08:26 PM »

I think he's playing in C tuned down more than a full step.
1st "Sign" I think he's taking a C-shape (with the pinky on the 1st String 3rd fret) and sliding it up 2 frets.
2nd "Sign" I think he slides a G shape up 2 frets.

I first heard of this song here on WC a few years ago, and instantly loved it. I had never tried playing it until this puzzler came along. The way Prince Kid Moore comes in and out with the bass notes makes it tricky for me to find my groove.

Side notes: His voice reminds me a lot of Mance Lipscomb's. That outro makes me giggle every time I hear it.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2121 on: March 06, 2020, 03:14:55 PM »
Hi all,
The current puzzler on Kid Prince Moore's "Sign of Judgement" has been up a while and we've had no new responses in a couple of days, so I'll post the answers.

For Kid Prince Moore's "Sign of Judgement":
   * His playing position/tuning was C position in standard tuning, though tuned low, as I believe every responder had it.  Well done!
   * At the first time he sings "sign" in the chorus, he does a pinched double slide on the fifth and first strings, starting out fingering a C chord with the little finger fretting the third fret of the first string and the third or ring finger fretting the third fret of the fifth string.  Both strings slide up to the fifth fret on the word "sign".
   * At the second singing of "sign" in the chorus, he does another pinched double slide from the third to the fifth fret, but this time on the sixth and first strings in a G chord.  These two moves were described right on the money by frailer24 and Forgetful Jones, and as frailer24 noted, the phrases are perfect examples of the melody taking the bass for a ride.  Well done!

I sure like Kid Prince Moore's earnest way of singing the number, and the way he omits beats in the bass is interesting and I think makes the song a good candidate for figuring out, just the way he did it.

Thanks to all who responded, and I hope folks enjoyed "Sign of Judgement".
All best,
Johnm

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #2122 on: March 07, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »
One more thing that I find interesting about Sign of Judgement is the bass during the 2 "Satan" verses. Moore goes from an alternating bass to a monotonic bass to dropping the bass completely in just a few measures. He does this both times, although there is a slight variation between the two. Cool stuff.

I also found this song much easier to play once I started singing along.

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal