collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I met a gypsy in a fortune tellin' place. She read my mind, and then she slapped my face - Anglin Brothers, Southern Whoopee Song

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 106304 times)

Offline Old Man Ned

Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #2085 on: October 02, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
I was wrestling with this one last night and sounds like it got me in the same hold as Prof Scratchy. I've been swithering between E or G in, despite tinkering about with my low strings, I'm going for standard tuning in E.

Really not sure about the bass note....a dampened E on the 6th string at the start and a dampened B(?) on the 6 string for the interlude. Agree, no IV or V chord. Only confident about the last answer though.

All the best,
Ned

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2086 on: October 02, 2019, 06:28:26 PM »
Hi all,
My apologies to those who have already posted on the puzzler--I had a misprint in the third question which I have since corrected.  I had the guitar interlude starting at 1:40, and it actually starts at 1:50.  At least the question will make more sense now.
All best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #2087 on: October 04, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »
Not really sure but I felt it had a cross note feel.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2088 on: October 06, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »
Hi all,
Any other takers for the Lawyer Houston puzzler, "Been In The Army Since 1941"?
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2089 on: October 08, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
Hi all,
It looks as though everyone who intended to respond to the puzzler on Lawyer Houston's "Been In The Army Since 1941" has done so, so I will post the answers now.

For Lawyer "Soldier Boy" Houston's "Been In The Army Since 1941":
   * His playing position was E position in standard tuning, as Dave and Old Man Ned had it.
   * As he begins the song, Lawyer Houston is hitting a IV note in the bass.  Playing in E position in standard tuning, that would be an A note, which he hit on the open fifth string.  One of the peculiarities of the song is that pretty much from beginning to the end of his rendition, he hits that IV note on the downbeats of measures, going to the open sixth string I note for weaker beats.
   * At the beginning of his guitar interlude, at 1:50, Lawyer Houston is hitting a bVII note in the bass, D, and getting it on the open fourth string.  It's apparent that his strategy for the body of the song was simply to hit open strings in the bass on the sixth, fifth and fourth strings, and reserve fretting for melodic passages only.  This approach also made it possible for Houston to free-hand everything in the left hand and avoid playing and holding down chords in the left hand altogether.
   * It is true, as everyone had it, that Lawyer Houston never hits a IV or V chord in the course of the rendition.

Lawyer Houston's rhythmic feel is different than that of R. L. Burnside, but the droniness of his approach and almost complete lack of chordal information is similar to that of Burnside and other Hill Country players.  Houston was from Texas, I believe, and Lil' Son Jackson's sound in DGDGBE tuning also somewhat anticipated the Hill Country sound.  It's entirely possible that the Hill Country sound was already happening in the late '40s or early '50s, but just didn't get recorded much, though John Lee Hooker and Dr. Ross both anticipated that sound, too, and were from Mississippi.  And I would guess that Fred McDowell was already playing with that kind of sound, too, at that time.

Thanks to those who participated in the puzzler, and I hope folks enjoyed the song.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:30:57 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2090 on: November 09, 2019, 08:57:05 AM »
Hi all,
We haven't had a puzzler for a while and I have a new one for folks who are interested.  It is "Blues For Mattie Mae" by Lattie Murrell.  Here it is:

The questions on "Blues For Mattie Mae" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Lattie Murrell use to play the song?
   * Describe how what Lattie Murrell frets at :45--:46 helps identify his tuning/playing position.
   * Where does Lattie Murrell fret what he plays from 1:49--1:52?

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers and please don't post any responses before 8:00 AM your time on Tuesday, November 12.  Thanks for your participation and I hope you enjoy the song.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2091 on: November 13, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »
Hi all,
Any takers for the Lattie Murrell puzzler?  Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #2092 on: November 13, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »
To get the ball rolling, though I've only had around 10 minutes on this, I would say E standard, identified by what I hear as 'hammer ons' the 5th and 4th strings at 45:46 mark. Should get a bit more time over the next couple of days to revisit and figure out the last question and possibly change my mind on what I've put above :-)
All the Best,
Ned

Offline banjochris

« Reply #2093 on: November 13, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »
Agree with Ned, and just listening without a guitar in hand I would say that the bit from 1:49-1:52 is the 8th fret of the 2nd string, bent, along with the open 1st string.
Chris

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2094 on: November 14, 2019, 01:16:38 AM »
Yes, E standard tuned down to D, with the moves OMN and Chris have identified. Great performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2095 on: Yesterday at 11:33:31 AM »
Hi all,
Any other takers for the Lattie Murrell puzzler?  Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #2096 on: Today at 04:41:49 AM »
Nothing to add to what the Prof said

anything