collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

If you asked me a request today and I didn't know it, I'd go get the sheet music tomorrow and learn it so I wouldn't be caught the next time - Carl Martin, interview with Jeff Todd Titon

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 106375 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #1935 on: August 21, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
Hi all,
I have a new puzzler for those of you who are interested.  The song is "Peach Tree Blues", as performed by the Tennessee musician Charley Sangster.  Here it is:

The questions on Charley Sangster's "Peach Tree Blues" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did he use to play the song?
   * Where is he fretting his V7 chords?

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers, and please don't post any answers before 8:00 AM your time on Friday, August 24.  Thanks for your participation and I hope you enjoy the song.
All best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #1936 on: August 24, 2018, 05:39:36 AM »
No one else?s head going on the block so....
Standard tuning key of G capoed up a little. V7 played out of C7 position from 3rd fret.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1937 on: August 24, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »
I agree with blueshome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1938 on: August 24, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
That's the same that I've up with too.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1939 on: August 28, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
Thanks to blueshome, Prof Scratchy and Old Man Ned for their responses to the Charley Sangster puzzlers.  Anyone else care to respond?  Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1940 on: August 30, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »
Hi all,
It doesn't appear that anyone else is going to respond to the Charley Sangster puzzler, "Peach Tree Blues", so I'll post the answers.  Here goes:

For Charley Sangster's "Peach Tree Blues":
   * His playing position was G position in standard tuning
   * He played his V7 chords using a C7 shape moved up two frets.

In this instance, blueshome had both questions nailed in the initial response to the questions, and Prof Scratchy and Old Man Ned concurred, so it was an instance of every response being correct in all regards--well done!  Thanks to you guys for responding and I hope that people enjoyed Charley Sangster's rendition of the song.  I'll look for another puzzler to post soon.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1941 on: September 06, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »
Hi all,
I have a new puzzler for those of you who are interested.  It is Lattie Murrell's "Blues For Mattie Mae".  Here it is:

The questions on "Blues For Mattie Mae" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Lattie Murrell use to play the song?
   * What is the earliest point in the rendition at which you could identify the playing position/tuning?
   * How is Lattie Murrell playing the passage from :11--:14?

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers, and please don't post any answers before 8:00 AM your time on Sunday, September 9.  Thanks for your participation, and I hope you enjoy "Blues For Mattie Mae".
All best,
Johnm

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #1942 on: September 10, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
I'm hearing this out of E, standard tuning, but tuned a bit low. The I chord in the first few seconds, to me, sounds like it's played out of an E chord and when he goes up the neck at around 50 seconds too.

I've not discounted cross note tuning but feel more confident about E standard at the moment. The passage between 11:14 I'm hearing out of this shape on the top 3 strings:

All the best,
Ned

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #1943 on: September 10, 2018, 11:37:53 PM »
I agree with Old Man Ned, E position, standard tuning.
I suspected that position/tuning when I heard the slide up the 6th string and then playing the open 5th string A for the root of the IV chord, at about 0:21.
The passage at :11, I think he is playing
8 and bending this note up somewhat
on the top two strings, plus the open 6th string. Not sure if I hear another string in there.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1944 on: September 11, 2018, 01:23:18 AM »
Agree with Ned and David on key. For me the seventh note at .02 got me thinking that, although the same note would?ve sounded in crossnote or Vestapol I suppose. The adjacent hammered on bass run is typical in E, but again available in crossnote.....In short, I?m not at all sure where E standard emerges as the definitive position, but I look forward to finding out! At .11 I think open 1st str played against bent 8fr of 2nd str with open 6str in bass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1945 on: September 13, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
Any other takers for the Lattie Murrell puzzler?  Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Floridablues

• Howdy!
« Reply #1946 on: September 13, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »
Newcomer to this. E standard dropped to C#. I tried open D but it didn't seem right. Of course that could be lack of knowledge of the little licks that tuning provides. The run and this a heavy guess top strings E and B third and fifth frets sliding into them. Look forward to learning from everyone. Thanks!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1947 on: September 13, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
I always listen to these, but my old ears are usually too slow for it not to be frustrating to work them out at speed. This one seemed slow enough so I gave a closer listen.

Right away I could tell that it was in the "E family", i.e. Standard at E, Vastapol, Crossnote and EAEGBE. I remembered that you had done a rundown of how to suss out this a few songs back, Johnm, so I went back and read it (page 126 in my browser). As everyone else noted, at 0.21 he clearly plays the IV note on the open 5 string so that ruled out Vastapol and Crossnote. I didn't have a chance to work with a guitar til today, but when I did I noticed him playing the lick Scratchy mentioned at 0.02, but I felt that could be played 4th string Open to 5th string 5th fret in EAEGBE relatively easily. But then right after playing the open 5th string for the IV he plays a hammer that would be from Open 4th string to 2nd fret in Standard, and it would be hard to continue the lick if this were done up high on the 5th string, ruling out EAEGBE. So E Standard somewhere sharp of C#.

And you do like those high fretted notes played against the open 1st string, Johnm.

Wax
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:01:35 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
https://www.facebook.com/WaxwingJohn

Willie Brown's Liquor at CD Baby

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #1948 on: September 14, 2018, 02:20:36 AM »
Took my guitar that was in Vasterpol and thought it was near but not quite so I settled for cross note on the basis that it worked to my yin ears.

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #1949 on: September 14, 2018, 07:50:04 PM »
Hello all-
- I think it's in E position, standard tuning, a few steps down low
- I figured it was standard tuning when he went to the A on the open 5th string at :21. Can't do that in Vestapol
- The passage at :11 reminds me of a Charley Patton's Green River. Is Lattie Murrell bending the 8th fret of the 2nd string and playing an open 1st? Thumb playing open 6th string. He could also bend the 12th fret of the 3rd string, I guess.