collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side - Hunter S. Thompson

Author Topic: Joe Linthcombe Humming Effect?  (Read 815 times)

Offline Clueless

• Howdy!
Joe Linthcombe Humming Effect?
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:10:37 PM »
Does anyone know how Joe Linthcombe got his humming effect on his record? Is it a Kazoo or is it just him humming? Im looking for a way to accompany myself on banjo, and I can't sing so this seems like the next best thing.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Joe Linthcombe Humming Effect?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »
I've known people who can make that sound just by vibrating their lips pulled very tightly. I believe the pitch is generated essentially by humming (i.e.using the vocal chords) and I would imagine that it would take about as much practice as singing. You can hear how the range of his vocal effect is the same tenor range as his vocals. You could try a kazoo, but again creating good pitch requires practice like singing.

It might be good to remember that there was a time when you would have said, "I can't play banjo," and yet here you are playing banjo. Singing requires practice, too.

If you absolutely can't create melodic sound with your vocal chords you could try playing quills on a rack. Check the Tags index in the list of links under the top of page banner and find the tag links to all the topics about quills. Some in depth discussion here, as I recall. But, of course, that requires practice, too, but not as much as good harp playing.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags: quills 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal