collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well as a man he was a good natured fellow to meet, very kind. Well thought of and everybody liked him, wouldn't do nobody no harm at all. He do like most blind men do when they have a family or wife, do all they can to take care of them - Rev. Gary Davis describes Blind Boy Fuller, in Oh, What A Beautiful City

Author Topic: ID this old parlor guitar  (Read 7525 times)

Pod

ID this old parlor guitar
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:10:27 AM »
Heres some pics of a resto I did.
Sold as lyon n Healey maybe Washburn on e Bay.
Has a diagonal brace behind the soundhole and a chunkier V neck than my OS Stella.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Front view

rear view.
The strip is a decal

Neck dovetail

Jope these pics arnt too big.

I refreshed the french polish and the guitar plays and sounds lovely.
Chers
G Eisler

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: ID this old parlor guitar
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:58:16 AM »
This is virtually identical one I picked up, also sounds great, the same back stripe decal etc. Mine has a label inside "Sterling    Hauser & Stutphin  Philadelphia".
I know that there was a store with the H&S name from the late 19th C., my suspicion is that the guitar was probably made by L&H.

Phil

Pod

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:51:44 AM »
Thanks Phil
Does yours also have the diagonal brace?
Any idea what wood the sides and back are, seems heavily stained.
Im guessing at rosewood or stained birch.
I had to reset the neck, glue up a crack in the back, reglue a loose back brade and support a crack that runs along the side of the fret board, used hide glue for the neck and top support and cyanoacrylate for the back crack. Holding up well.
The top is a lovely piece with really close grain.
Cheers
pod

bighollowtwang

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 01:05:09 PM »
I believe this is a Lyon & healy Jupiter, c. 1910-1920

I have a guitar that seems almost identical, with "transverse bracing" (ladder bracing with the brace directly below the soundhole slanting downwards on the treble side). It is extremely deep sounding, almost sounds like it is tuned low even when tuned to standard pitch. The sides are definitely birch, stained to look like rosewood. I also found mine on ebay, it was one of those "live auctions" that no one seems to bid on, so I got it for $20. It needed a few minor cracks mended, otherwise it plays and sounds great.

It's the second one from the right, next to the 60s Stella 12 string.
The others in the photo are a 30s Supertone round-hole archtop, a Columbia (the tailpiece has an 1896 patent date on it), and in the middle is a B&J serenader made by Stromberg-Voisenet - an incredibly loud guitar. They all play, and get daily use.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 01:09:23 PM by bighollowtwang »

Pod

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »
Hi BHT
Thats great info , I agree seems to be a dead ringer for your Jupiter, only difference I see is the 9 fret marker, whereas my guitar is at 10.
Love the line up, nice guitars.
I also have an OS Stella which I dearly love, a real survivor
My son plays the Lyon and Healey, I agree about the Bassy tone , less brassy than the Stella.
I will get a group pic, I ve another mahogany and MTS parlor I suspect is a Supertone, Ill get pics later.
Cheers
Pod
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:22:45 PM by Pod »

bighollowtwang

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 02:38:45 PM »
Yeah, I've seen Lyon & Healy Jupiters with both 10th and 9th fret markers (obviously not both at the same time haha!) and various minor differences such as tailpieces and the decorative stripe on the back. the tailpiece on mine is different as well, I presume they changed these things over the years, because they were in production for about two decades, give or take a few years, from what I've been able to gather.

Here's a link to one that ended on ebay the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330025172409

It has the same tailpiece as mine, a flat, primitive looking thing.

I also found these online:

http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/Lyon-Healy%20or%20Wm%20Hall%20Parlor%20guitar%2019thC.jpg
http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/Lyon-Healy%20Jupiter%20Parlor.jpg

As you can see, there are some differences...

Beautiful OS in your photo, by the way. Must sound great.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:39:56 PM by bighollowtwang »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal