collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I know at one time he had some money in a plastic bag. Matter of fact, $8,000. And he brought it here for me to count. But when I opened the bag and the air came and got to it, it come all to pieces. It was so rotten that you couldn't even pick it up. Amazing, amazing person, Jack was - Jack Owens, remembered by Jimmy Homes, Living Blues #137

Author Topic: Charlie Poole releases from JSP and Columbia  (Read 6412 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Charlie Poole releases from JSP and Columbia
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 03:48:59 AM »
I've got the Sony/Columbia set.  The sound is ok, certainly better than what Sony was doing 15 years ago when they first started reissuing music from the 1920s and 30s on CD.  This set is good for someone like me, who's not intimately familiar with Southern white music of the period, as it has one disk of the "best" of Charley Poole and two disks of Poole's recordings placed among those of his influences and those who he influenced, so you get a picture of where he stood in the history of the genre.   

Offline BlindSockeyeSalmon

• Sugar in the Gourd: Old-Time, All the Time
Re: Charlie Poole releases from JSP and Columbia
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
Bumping this old thread to ask whether anyone has compared the new Tompkins Square Charlie Poole release to the first 12 tracks of JSP CD 4, which are the same Paramounts.

Any sonic improvements or other reasons to buy the new TS disc?

thanks in advance
John
http://sugarinthegourd.com
Old-Time, All the Time

Tags: Charlie Poole 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal