collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Gonna put you in the river see if you can't drown, tie a rock around your neck and see if that'll keep you down - Casey Bill Weldon, No Good Woman 1937

Author Topic: Zuzu Bollin - Headlight Blues - 1951/2 - Closing Lick  (Read 434 times)

Offline Shovel

Zuzu Bollin - Headlight Blues - 1951/2 - Closing Lick
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »
I'm wondering about the closing lick that starts just after 2:23 and goes to about 2:29  in the below youtube video:

It's very similar to Stevie Ray Vaughan's closing lick to Texas Flood, though SRV tricks it up on the second go round, takes it up a little higher, about 5:06 - 5:12 in this link..

What I'm wondering, is there an earlier recorded example in blues, acoustic or electric, where they use that  lick to close out a song on the last couple of bars?

I haven't listened to a ton of the Chess stuff since wondering about this, so there may be something there that resembles or matches.  Maybe even some 30's Bumble Bee Slim combo type groups.

Can anyone point to an example of this type of closing lick?

Perhaps there are a lot of examples?  Any thoughts welcome and appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:41:09 AM by Shovel »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Zuzu Bollin - Headlight Blues - 1951/2 - Closing Lick
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
I think this was a standard T Bone Walker move. Would this qualify?

Offline Shovel

Re: Zuzu Bollin - Headlight Blues - 1951/2 - Closing Lick
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
Thanks that would certainly make a lot of sense.  I admittedly haven't listened to much T-Bone.  I'll need to listen to earlier versions but now that you mention it I would almost expect that T-Bone could've done this.  Once verified, will need to see if anyone predated him.
Thank you kindly..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal