collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'd stand on the corner and wave my hand. Sayin' if you don't believe that I'm a drinking man, baby stop by here with your beer can - Robert Wilkins, Jim Canan's

Author Topic: Roy Book Binder - classic NYC folk-blues in London, UK, in July  (Read 1591 times)

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
Roy Book Binder, a  folk-blues legend of the 1960sGreenwich Village Scene, is over from New York for a sole UK date: July 1, in London.

He learned guitar from Rev Gary Davis and toured with him. By the late 1960s Binder was recording for both Kicking Mule and Blue Goose Records. In 1969, he toured England with Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup and Homesick James.

After meeting another of his life's influences, the bluesman Pink Anderson, Binder released the classic album, Travelin' Man, on Adelphi Records, in 1971. (Check it out on Spotify and elsewhere; it's beautiful)

Roy's hardly ever in Europe. So if you like old-school blues, if you've ever dug Mississippi John Hurt or Elizabeth Cotten, if you play the guitar... you really should come to this gig. He is the real deal: there aren't many like him still around, let alone gigging in London this summer...

Sun 1 July
The Slaughtered Lamb
34-35 Great Sutton Street
EC1V 0DX
London

nearest tubes/stations: Farringdon or Barbican
(Farringdon is on the Thameslink: handy for south UK and even Gatwick airport if you fancy Easyjetting in from Europe!)

?10 tickets in advance
doors 7.30pm

More about Roy:
 www.roybookbinder.com
 tickets available in advance from:
 http://www.wegottickets.com/event/169091 <http://www.wegottickets.com/event/169091>

This is the facebook event page:
 http://www.facebook.com/events/243507775754261/

ask me for more info/press etc

Roy on video:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:21:09 AM by matt milton »

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
Re: Roy Book Binder - classic NYC folk-blues in London, UK, in July
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:21:36 AM »
A little more Roy to treat you to:

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:26:45 AM »
By the way, if any fellow Brits can suggest any other forums, message boards or listings services that I should post this info to, I'd really really appreciate it.

Roy's brilliant, but he's quite obscure - not a lot of people have heard of him over here, and I'm finding that promoting this gig often means telling people who he is! I'm just slightly worried that the great man may end up playing to just me and my friends and family, which would be a big shame. If you've ever been to the Slaughtered Lamb before, you'll know what a great, cosy, intimate venue it can be for acoustic music.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:58:18 AM by matt milton »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »
Matt - you could try the dreaded FaceBook approach.

When I put Roy on a few years ago, people travelled down to the Sussex coast from as far away as Oxford and Bristol, so there's hope for you in the big city.

Hope you have a great gig.

Tell Roy that Parlor Picker says "Hi!".
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »
Great pub! I'd love to see Roy one day .... and only one international flight away .. hmm ...

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »
Matt - you could try the dreaded FaceBook approach.

When I put Roy on a few years ago, people travelled down to the Sussex coast from as far away as Oxford and Bristol, so there's hope for you in the big city.

Hope you have a great gig.

Tell Roy that Parlor Picker says "Hi!".

Yes, I've already blitzed Facebook, and will continue to do so. The trouble with Facebook is that nobody ever looks at "Event Invites" anymore, simply because everybody receives so many of them: they've become the Facebook equivalent of junk mail. Plus, when you post a notice on a relevant page (such as "Bluesmatters" or "Blues In Britain" or the Paul Jones Radio 2 page), they vanish pretty quickly as other people post up similar posts. So I've been laboriously sending individual messages to people. Which takes bloody ages! And is, sort of, paying off. But it still looks like there'll only be an audience of about 20 people there.

Where did you put Roy on in Sussex as a matter of interest?

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:36 AM »
Where did you put Roy on in Sussex as a matter of interest?

It was part of the Rye Arts Festival. I also saw him at a one-off gig in Hawkhurst, Kent a few years before that.

I do hope you get more people than you are anticipating.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Online jostber

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
By the way, if any fellow Brits can suggest any other forums, message boards or listings services that I should post this info to, I'd really really appreciate it.

Roy's brilliant, but he's quite obscure - not a lot of people have heard of him over here, and I'm finding that promoting this gig often means telling people who he is! I'm just slightly worried that the great man may end up playing to just me and my friends and family, which would be a big shame. If you've ever been to the Slaughtered Lamb before, you'll know what a great, cosy, intimate venue it can be for acoustic music.

I was in London in the of May, seems like I went there to early. :) Roy Book Binder is one of the greatest contemporary artists around playing the early blues and I would recommend everyone that's in town that has the chance to go there. Great shows with some entertaining stories as well.

For more promotion you could also try the Blindman Blues Forum.

Tags: Roy Book Binder 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal