collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I want you to think 'bout the things, baby, that me and you used to do - Frank Stokes, Bedtime Blues

Author Topic: "Cadillac Records" -- movie about 1950s Chess Records  (Read 10332 times)

Offline CF

Re: "Cadillac Records" -- movie about 1950s Chess Records
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 04:33:52 PM »
I thought the actors did a good job summoning up the spirit of the originals but the movie just didn't work for me. I thought it was laboured & had no heart.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline doctorpep

Re: "Cadillac Records" -- movie about 1950s Chess Records
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 06:39:11 PM »
I felt that the man who played Wolf did a marvelous job, but didn't have enough screen time. Mos Def did a good job playing Berry, but his vocals were horrible. The actor who played Walter was fantastic.

Perhaps the main weakness of the entire project was that the actor who played Muddy was not nearly as charismatic as Muddy and didn't have a voice that was even in the same register as that of Mr. Waters. Of course, we can't forget the many historical inaccuracies of the film, such as Leonard having a heart attack right after Beyonce/Etta recorded "I'd Rather Go Blind". I believe these two events were years apart. Also, there was no Bo Diddley in the movie!

The ending, with Rap music playing, was quite silly. I understand the need to relate Blues to today's music, but this could have been done via words/brilliant narration, as opposed to playing Rap.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal