collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I had so much chicken 'till I heard a cluckin' in my sleep - Blind Joe Reynolds, Third Street Woman

Author Topic: Third Man Records & Document teaming up  (Read 6609 times)

Offline jostber

Re: Third Man Records & Document teaming up
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
Volume 2 of the releases are now also available from the Document Records web site and The Third Man Records site. :-)

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
I have the first 3 Volumes, referred to at the top of the thread.
Honestly, from the "180 gram, super rich warm fidelity" angle - don't bother.
They sound fine, but not revelatory in any way if you already have and know these tracks.  The "180 gram" thing is pretty much hogwash, the tracks are listed wrong on the Patton sleeve and the liner notes are embarrassing. Their author seemingly being a scribe-for-hire, having written books on the Stone Roses, Oasis, and Frankie Howerd(!). For a journalist, he is sadly unaware of the meaning of common English words such as 'infamous'.
"His highly stylistic guitar style soon started to gain infamous qualities..."

Vinyl is hip with 'the kids'  - if sporting a modish beard and a few crates of vinyl at home, you're making a lifestyle statement that's both old-school hip and dramatically up-to-date.
Many of these kinds will buy any piece of crap that appears on the market as a 12" record, believing "it sounds better".
Because frequently old 1950's and 60s LPs *do* sound better than their washed out or artificially pumped-up CD or MP3 reissues, there's a reasonable basis for this assumption.
But there are companies the world over, far more interested in making some money from a credulous market segment than delivering any kind of fulsome musical experience.
One European company records commercially available CDs -for which it has no rights - and presses LPs from the CD recordings, then issuing the "warm, rich vinyl" in jackets that are a facsimile of the original. The company has a thriving business selling these titles in many parts of the world.

The ThirdMan/Document releases don't seem super-exploitative in that sense - but they are definitely appealing to the young vinyl hipster, and have not been very well done  The inner labels excitedly claim "Made from VINYL. May Warp-Could Break!"
But if you can't even manage to get your track listing correct, the impression is of a pretty slapdash effort.

Having said all that, the Patton LP does have an alternate take of Lord I'm Discouraged which is not on the Revenant or JSP Patton sets.
I only know of it as being on one Document CD.

The Patton release has an alt take of 'Lord, I'm Discouraged' listed. There are apparently typos galore on these but I'm wondering if this is the real thing, I seem to be only able to see one take of that song on all my discs.
Worth the price of admission?
For Patton completists, maybe so.

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
I just listened.
There is no Alt Take - it's a different copy of the record is all.
Third Man list a 19 second difference between the "2 versions" - of the same recording!
Which is wrong and utterly bogus of them
There's "doing it right" and there's "doing it poorly".
This LP represents the latter.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »
Bruce, thanks for the lowdown on 180 gr vinyl.

I thought the "Yazoo" vinyl reissues were not from Yazoo despite the cover art and logo. Thought they were bootlegs from Scorpio, but the Amazon listing for one McTell LP says Hi Horse Records: http://www.amazon.com/Early-Years-1927-1933-Willie-Mctell/dp/B0084O8OJS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1359743533&sr=8-6&keywords=blind+willie+mctell+vinyl

Anyone have any further information on the quality or sourcing of these Yazoo "reissues"?

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal