collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
George wanted to take Lonzie to record with Albert Macon and Robert Thomas, and the daughter was hesitant to let Lonzie get in a car with George, or with anybody, but George reassured her. So George helped him in the car, and put the car in reverse, and drove directly into a nearby ditch. Lonzie turned and said, "Man, George, you may as well let me drive!" - Fred Fussell describes George Mitchell chauffeuring the blind Lonzie Thomas to a recording session, from notes to The George Mitchell Collection

Author Topic: How I play "Just Because"  (Read 662 times)

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
How I play "Just Because"
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »
       A rough version of Just Because
Hi guys I had a couple of requests by some who were intrigued as to how I might play the tune Elvis made famous-er (that is a word right ?) Just Because. I learned the structure of this tune while playing electric guitar in a band run with one of Australia's greatest blues and boogie woogie pianists, Carolyn "Pinecone" Packer years and ago and it was always a highlight, at the time I never heard the Elvis version so I sorta just played it my way. I kept the tune but I adapted it to fingerstyle and ragged it a bit and also kept it in the same key we played it which is the often neglected key of F and F position.
                             I am putting this video up more as a kind of lesson rather than a full performance piece per se as I feel my singing is not suited to the song in this key but I sang it anyway, at least so you guys can maybe pick up the song from this video and I know many of you will have it down in under ten minutes and improve on my version here in 20. I may be able to improve my own singing on this tune with more practice. Hope you get some benefit and/or enjoyment from the video and I look forward to seeing a version from you guys, feel free to put them in here if you like.

http://youtu.be/OvGoXA8gRvI?t=1m22s
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
Re: How I play "Just Because"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:13:50 AM »
If I do play the tune again I will make it purely an instrumental with two guitars.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal