collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...that's the biggest disaster, people goin' around goin': 'mah baby left me, mommma...' [laughter]. Hel-lo, y'know? It's like absolutely bizarre. Nobody cares whose voice you sing in as long as it yours - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Steve James resonating on NPR & elsewhere  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Steve James resonating on NPR & elsewhere
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:58:12 AM »
Great little interview with Steve on NPR is playing on KUT as I speak. Some live playing, some tracks from Short Blue Stories.

It's interesting chat with a good interviewer, in which we learn Steve is going to Bulgaria as a cultural ambassador! Life imitates art, we nominated him for a similar role in one of the quotes, which went like this:

Boy, I oughtta kick your ass... -  Steve James, US goodwill ambassador live in Europe  :P

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103467828
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:58:54 AM by Rivers »

Offline Janmarie

• www.janmarieartworks.com
Re: Steve James resonating on NPR
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »
I always start the day with NPR and what a wonderful surprise hearing this interview this morning.  It brought up many fine Steve James moments from blues camp in Port Townsend. Hearing the slide mandolin number was a first for me and I'm all smiles. 

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »
Thank God for NPR Janmarie, and our local affiliate KUT. Their interviewers are the best bar none.

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
great interview. thanks for the link.
so what's with this brand new steve james model national?  not much detail there.  the wood bodied resorocket maybe.... 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »
Nice to see good things happening with Steve, new CD, ambassadorship (Bulgaria, what a hoot), new signature reso model.  A really great interview.  I till scratch my head at slide mandolin - but the clip that was played was as nice as I've heard.  :D

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Nice to see good things happening with Steve, new CD, ambassadorship (Bulgaria, what a hoot), new signature reso model.  A really great interview.  I till scratch my head at slide mandolin - but the clip that was played was as nice as I've heard.  :D

I'll second all that. And Rivers--Thank You for posting the link.

Re: slide mandolin--Why not? I saw Ken Bloom play a slide autoharp version of "Sittin' On Top of the World" in the mid-70s, so the possibilities are endless.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:48:19 AM »
I remember back in the 1970s that Big Jim Pitts used to play some wild bottleneck mandolin with anarchic country blues band, Brett Marvin & the Thunderbolts.

Not too sure about the picture of Steve - he looks like some kind of guitar-picking serious criminal.  He's over here in June, so will have to ask him about that photo.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline TX_Songster

• From Fort Worth, hometown of The Black Ace
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 04:17:43 AM »
Rivers, thanks for the tip on the interview.  Steve is one of my favorites, and such a great story teller as well.  I love the quote (to paraprhase because I don't think I have it exactly): Sure, I played rock and roll.  I backed Bo Diddley.  If that isn't rock and roll, I don't know what is!

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 03:53:51 PM »
Jack Johnson plays a bottleneck mando - it's cool.

Peter

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Steve James resonating on NPR and elsewhere
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
Anyone near Austin can catch Steve James next week at Fiddler's Green, a great little music store dedicated to us folkie types here in Austin.
He's on the bill with Fat Man & Little Boy, should be a good night. If I'm over my (non-pig) flu by then I'll be there.

More info here: http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Steve James resonating on NPR & elsewhere
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
PP aka Brett Marvine and the Thunderbolts. The year before last at the the EBA we had Graham Hine (of Thunderbolts fame) who took slide classes for a day at very short notice. The problem was he was billed and hyped up - totally by mistake - as a Tampa Red expert because he had played a couple of the his tunes way back.

It was all very sad as people were almost walking out of what started as a full class and he ended the day with two people. To say he was vey upset at the end was an understatement and I felt very sorry for him as it wasn't his fault.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 02:57:58 PM »
Great point I'm sure Richard. But I have no idea what it is. 

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:10:40 AM »
Richard - I met up with Graham again last year for the first time in ... cough, cough... years.  He's a really nice person who woud be concerned about that kind of thing.  Very unprofessional of the organisers not to clarify things with him first.

Earlier this year, Graham did an Italian blues festival with Roger Hubbard, playing individually and together.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 07:47:12 AM »
Ah I see. Can we try and stay on topic please folks. I'm no saint in that regard either but this thread is about SJ gigs. Much obliged.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 01:32:25 PM »
Rivers, I can't see the floodgates opening and this thread being deluged with Thunderbirds posts any more than I can with a tsunami of references to NPR\KUT which is something which equally, I have no idea what it is about.

As for Steve, we have talked about doing a gig over here on his way through next year we just need to organise an audience!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags: Steve James 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal