collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Everybody lost their style after Whitney and Mariah. There's no depth. No taste. It's like cooking collard greens and not putting any meat in them - James Brown, upon turning 70, who was getting ready to take his jumpsuits and high heels on the road again during the summer of 2003. The hardest working man in showbiz has a lot to say about music today, and he doesn't sugarcoat it

Author Topic: Additions to Weeniepedia  (Read 48911 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Additions to Weeniepedia
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »
Hi all,
We were talking and thought it might be a good idea to post additions to Weeniepedia as they are entered.  The following items have been added to Weeniepedia in the past week-and-a-half or so.
   * Lyrics for "Tillie Lee" and "Ragtime Crazy", as transcribed by banjo chris, have been added to the William Moore Lyrics page, which now has all of Moore's lyrics entered.
   * Andrew has entered and formatted the positions and tunings for Peg Leg Howell's '20s recordings and his Testament record, with my commentary.
   * Buddy Moss' "New Lovin' Blues" has been entered, and an Artist page for Buddy Moss has been created.
   * Pink Anderson's lyrics for "The Wreck of the Old 97", "Gonna Tip Out Tonight", "John Henry" and "Boweevil" have been entered and an Artist page created for Pink.
   * The recently transcribed Leroy Carr lyrics for "Straight Alky Blues Part 3" and "I'm Going Away And Leave My Baby" have been added to Leroy Carr's Lyrics page.
   * The lyrics for "Moanin' and Groanin' Blues" have been added to Peg Leg Howell's Lyrics page, leaving only "Chittlin' Supper", a spoken number with mandolinist Jim Hill, untranscribed, from his '20s recordings.

We hope that anyone who makes additions to Weeniepedia will post and inform the Weenie community here.
all best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Additions to Weeniepedia
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »
Hi all,
Today I was perusing Weeniepedia and noticed that a song that I knew had been transcribed there was not included in the alphabetical listing.  Some checking unearthed between 75-100 titles that were included in the sort under the artists who recorded them but were not in the master alphabetical list, so I did the editing to get them on the list.  If you take a look at the list now, it's getting to be pretty impressive, 475 songs transcribed.  Onward and upward.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:26:31 PM »
Nice work Johnm!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »
Hi all,
In the past few days, new artist and lyric pages for Edward Thompson, Robert Wilkins, Lane Hardin, Pigmeat Pete & Catjuice Charlie, Cat Iron, Jim Jackson and Tommy McClennan, as well as song lyrics by these artists have been added to Weeniepedia, as well as some lyrics from Papa Charlie Jackson.  The alphabetical listing of songs is fast approaching 500 songs transcribed, currently at 494.
All best,
Johnm   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:08:46 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »
Hi all,
Song lyrics, lyric and artist pages for Emry Arthur, J. D. Short and Willie Reed have been added to Weeniepedia.  The alphabetical list of transcribed songs now stands at 504!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
Added Clarence Green Johnson City Blues. Lemon ongoing I guess!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »
Hi all,
I started a Luke Jordan page and posted lyrics for "Won't You Be Kind?", with others to follow.
all best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »
I just put up the weeniepedia structure for Leadbelly. While I was doing that it struck me that we could come up with some more really cool categories into which we could link the lyric pages etc. Leadbelly's Shorty George could end up in "Prison Songs", and "Train Songs", for example. Those categories in turn would be sub categories of... what? Maybe the combined "Lyrics" page, "Lyrics by subject" perhaps?

Anyone think this might be a good idea? We have the power, let's use it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:44:59 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »
Great idea. Go for it.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:33:27 AM »
I just put up the weeniepedia structure for Leadbelly. While I was doing that it struck me that we could come up with some more really cool categories into which we could link the lyric pages etc. Leadbelly's Shorty George could end up in "Prison Songs", and "Train Songs", for example. Those categories in turn would be sub categories of... what? Maybe the combined "Lyrics" page, "Lyrics by subject" perhaps?

Anyone think this might be a good idea? We have the power, let's use it.
The former librarian within me says yes, yes, yes......nothing like a bit of referencing and cross referencing :)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 02:48:42 AM »
I too think this is a good idea. Note that some such threads already exist, like the "Shipwrecks and the blues" thread: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=2831.0

Pan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:03 AM »
I agree - great idea.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
Cool. Let's think this through a bit and nail some categories and guidelines.

Prison, Railroad... what else? Guideline would be the page contains enough of the subject material to make it belong comfortably to that cat.

'Illness' (TB Woman Blues, Lemon's feets)
'Crime'
'Alcohol'
'Starvation'
'Weapons'
'Disasters'

Can we find some more positive ones?  :P

'Nightlife'
'Dance'
'Food'

I'm thinking don't add a '...songs' or '...lyrics' to the cat names so we can shove all forms of content in there, not only lyrics.

We could make each one a sub-cat of... what? 'Arcana'? Then the structure is ready-made and already linked to in the Bedslats section. Plus the structure remains fairly flat and as simple as possible, and there's not much in 'Arcana' at present.

I'm updating the mother-in-law-of-all-wiki-diagrams and will post it later.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:04:54 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
Comments most welcome, proposed layout, additions in red:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:22:56 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »
Any comments post them here, otherwise I'll go ahead and start setting it up as proposed, probably on the weekend.

Tags: Weeniepedia 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal