collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It wasn't but the one thing that ever started me to drink, Babe and that's when I sat down Lord and I began to think - Charley Jordan, Two Street Blues

Author Topic: son brimmers harmonica/ broken wrist  (Read 761 times)

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
son brimmers harmonica/ broken wrist
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »
  Recently i've undergone a surgery on my hand. Its a bummer and haven't been able to play my guitar. I've decided to work on my harmonica so that by the time i can pick again i can throw a little rack harp in. I have always really enjoyed the jug band style harmonica and would like to dive into it a little more.  any advice on really getting going on it would be awesome. i have been jamming with my friends cross harping and really enjoy it. 

Also the bone i broke on my wrist is my scaphoid bone and i now have a pin in my wrist does anyone have experience with this break and getting back on their guitar? cheers weenies i know someone has got some good advice on here might as well give it a try. O0     

P.s. its my left wrist that i fret with.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:40:59 PM by crustypicker »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: son brimmers harmonica/ broken wrist
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »
I got a crack in my left wrist scaphoid bone when I skied off a ridge in a sudden whiteout in NZ. Not as serious as your injury by the sound of it but it was a constant niggle for half a year afterwards. I had no strength in my left hand. It's a common skiing injury that occurs when you crash badly holding a ski pole.

I eventually went to a somewhat famous NZ sports physiotherapist who hooked me up to an electro massage machine for treatments spread out over a couple of months. This got the fine capillaries pumping blood back into the injured area. I'm very happy to report it's been right ever since.

Hope this helps man, I really do sympathize. Scaphoid fractures are even worse than cracked ribs, and that's saying something.

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words man. Ya i just hope i can get back to fingerpicking sooner than later.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope everything heals well.

What I've found is that, a *lot* of the Harmonica playing done in the "Classic" '20's-'30's Jug Bands, particularly Son Brimmer's playing, is done in first position, rather than Cross Harp.

C harp plays in key of C.

Noah Lewis, with Cannon's Jug Stompers, was equally proficient in 1st and 2nd position (As was Son Brimmer) but the vast majority of Memphis Jug Band repertoire is in 1st position.

Hope this has been helpful

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »
wow thats pretty interesting i would have never thought that. i been working n viola lee blues by noah lewis and it seems to be cross harp. when i try to figure out memphis jug band songs i can never get it just right so maybe thats the secret thanks.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
1st position is right. You can get a lot of bends with varying air pressure and lip movement. And don't forget Gary Davis had a broken wrist injury...I guess he played alright. ; ) Heal well.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal