collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When your knee bones go to aching and your body getting cold, you know you just gettin' ready, honey for some cypress grove - Skip James, Cypress Grove

Author Topic: Bertha Henderson Lyrics  (Read 945 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Bertha Henderson Lyrics
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2023, 04:22:51 PM »
Last verse,  I'm really moving back and forth between "gal" and "here"

died with the leavin' gal blues

died with the leavin' here blues

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 04:30:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's gal, Blues Vintage. There's no "h" sound at the front end, and it's the title phrase of the song (not that they didn't get titles wrong sometimes). I'm going to leave it as is.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 09:44:52 PM »
Listening to the song via the YouTube link though the speakers connected to the computer, it's a toss-up between "gal" and "here." When I listen to the M4A file that was imported from the JSP CD set into iTunes using my headphones and playing it with VLC Media Player at various speeds, I definitely hear "here."

Like you point out, the title strongly suggests, "gal," but it's possible the title was already settled on and she simply sang "here." ("Here" does fit the narrative.) Or if it was a mistake, since it was a solid take, they simply went with it rather than re-record the song. Or maybe because the song is about leaving and the singer is a gal, that was the reason for the title, regardless of the last line. --Just speculation, without any real evidence. I agree about Blind Blake's accompaniment. He created it to fit the song and the singer and did not simply throw some stock riffs together to sleepwalk through it.

As always, it's your call, John. Just because I hear something different, doesn't mean I think what you hear is wrong.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 07:07:14 AM »
I re-listened and changed it to "leavin' here blues".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 08:39:25 AM by Johnm »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal