collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Uh - but we celebratin' Christmas wrong from the way I look at the matter - shootin' off fireworks, cussin', and dancin', raisin' all other kinds of sand... uh - Death may be your Santa Claus! All of you who are decoratin' your rooms and gettin' ready for an all night dance - Death may be your Santa Claus! Death is on your track and is going to overtake you after awhile - Death may be your Santa Claus! - Reverend J.M. Gates

Author Topic: Etta Baker -- now on DVD  (Read 2459 times)

Offline outfidel

Etta Baker -- now on DVD
« on: July 10, 2005, 05:03:05 AM »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

si

Sample movie
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:18:29 PM »
See the sample movie clip at the previous link. It's short but gives a good idea of what an unusually good guitarist Etta is, and a wonderful person too..
You can listen to "Railroad Bill" "John Henry" and "Mint Julep" at
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/musicmakerstore/ettabaker.html
I sometimes play an adaption of Etta's "Mint Julep" at open sessions.

Offline outfidel

Re: Etta Baker -- now on DVD
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 11:47:51 AM »
Well my Etta DVD arrived yesterday, and I flipped through the video before bedtime last night. This looks like one of the few lessons where:
1) I want to learn every song on the video, and
2) I have the ability (I think) to play the songs reasonably well

fyi the only other lessons I have that meet both criteria are the MJH & Libba Cotten videos taught by John Miller.

dabluz

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:55:34 PM »
got mine in the mail tonight. great stuff. i think i'm really going to enjoy this dvd for awhile.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 04:53:18 AM »
It's an excellent video. If you don't have it already, you should get "Instrumental Music Of the Southern Appalachians" that was done in 1956 and also has cuts of her father's playing, if I remember correctly.

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 12:53:50 PM »
Well my Etta DVD arrived yesterday, and I flipped through the video before bedtime last night. This looks like one of the few lessons where:
1) I want to learn every song on the video, and
2) I have the ability (I think) to play the songs reasonably well

fyi the only other lessons I have that meet both criteria are the MJH & Libba Cotten videos taught by John Miller.

I think we are in the same boat Outfidel! I just got this video too as well as the Traum/Sebastian DVD on MJH.  What a wonderful inspiration Etta is, especially for us ladies  O0!

Offline outfidel

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 06:35:39 AM »

I think we are in the same boat Outfidel! I just got this video too as well as the Traum/Sebastian DVD on MJH.? What a wonderful inspiration Etta is, especially for us ladies? O0!

As BlindSockeyeSalmon says, we must be in the same karass.? :)

The thing about Etta Baker is that she sounds like the lost daughter of Mississippi John Hurt and Elizabeth Cotten -- and MJH & LIbba are two of my all-time favorite musicians. Plus, Etta will take songs like "Careless Love" and "Railroad Bill" that have been played thousands of times, and do her? own beautiful and unique version. What an artist!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 12:34:14 PM by outfidel »

Tags: Etta Baker 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal