collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

My name is Piggly Wiggly and I swear you can help yourself - Lucille Bogan, Groceries on the Shelf

Author Topic: Jimmie Rodgers train sound  (Read 954 times)

Offline roig

• Howdy!
Jimmie Rodgers train sound
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »
Not sure this is the right place, but can anybody explain how Jimmie Rodgers did that train sound at the beginning of "Waiting for a Train"? :-\

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: Jimmie Rodgers train sound
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:02:30 AM »
According to his biography, he learned to do it with his voice. My guess is a bit like Tuvan throat-singing.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline CF

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
I can't say that Jimmie is not getting some kind of off camera assistance with his train imitation but we are beyond lucky that we've got film footage of the great man playing, singing, chatting &, perhaps, train imitatin'. Check it out around the 1:18 mark:

Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

Jimmie Rodgers train sound
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
It's all Jimmie. He's whistling and moaning at the same time. Merle Travis did it too -- you can see him do it in one of his filmed performances of Lost John; Jimmie's is more deliberate and lasts longer.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
If only I could teach myself that! At least I can yodel.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline roig

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:34:35 AM »
Thank you VERY much for the help and for the amazing footage, which I've seen before but forgot it ever existed. If only they would make such films starring some of our early blues heroes.......

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 03:20:08 AM »
This is an interesting thread, Steve Weber from the holy modal rounders could do it as well where I didnít know Steve personally but Iíve hung with some of the other members of the rounders and associated friends and asked them about it. I think it is very much like a throat singing  technique he is splitting his vocal chords.. Pretty wild stuff I think there is a video of him on YouTube doing it during a live concert I think he also has a pretty cool mullet.

Offline Lignite

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 05:39:15 AM »
Supposedly Roy Acuff also did the train effect with his voice on his original recording of Wabash Cannonball. He said that he later had some dental work that caused him to lose this ability.

Offline eric

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 07:11:36 AM »
There's a really funny scene of a guy doing this in King of Bluegrass, a documentary about Jimmy Martin.
--
Eric

Tags: Jimmie Rodgers 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal