Country Blues > Country Blues Licks and Lessons

Finger soreness

<< < (2/3) > >>

Parlor Picker:

--- Quote from: Gmaj7 on April 14, 2022, 06:09:49 PM ---I keep nails on my right hand and hit the strings with my nails. I am not a classical guitarist but this is what I've settled on doing. Is this especially unusual in Blues fingerpicking? Are there disadvantages? Obviously there is a difference in tone; it's easier to make the treble melody sound "brighter".

--- End quote ---
Same here. I cannot use fingerpicks or flatpicks (for strumming I hold my first finger between my thumb and second finger, then use it like a flatpick). Unorthodox maybe, but it's the technique I fell into years ago and the one I use to this day.

Gmaj7:

--- Quote from: Parlor Picker on April 16, 2022, 12:18:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: Gmaj7 on April 14, 2022, 06:09:49 PM ---I keep nails on my right hand and hit the strings with my nails. I am not a classical guitarist but this is what I've settled on doing. Is this especially unusual in Blues fingerpicking? Are there disadvantages? Obviously there is a difference in tone; it's easier to make the treble melody sound "brighter".

--- End quote ---
Same here. I cannot use fingerpicks or flatpicks (for strumming I hold my first finger between my thumb and second finger, then use it like a flatpick). Unorthodox maybe, but it's the technique I fell into years ago and the one I use to this day.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I fear I'm "stuck" now. It does lead to another question - how unorthodox is it? I maybe once read that Skip James played with nails, did anyone else? If so, why did they?
I don't need any special upkeep or special diet to maintain the nails, and they're not "that" long. They seem just naturally strong. There are disadvantages in daily life (e.g. gardening, eating with hands) but I'm curious about disadvantages in playing.

ThatGuyWithThe12Stringer:

--- Quote from: Parlor Picker on April 16, 2022, 12:18:04 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

He's not generally known for "Blues", but I've heard Riley Puckett did this, and his playing seemed to be in no way handicapped by it.

jed:
Having used (and tried to maintain) nails since forever, my go-to whining fingertip remedy has always been pure super glue.  It lso works on fretting fingertips and doesn't harm guitars when flaking off - which it will do off after a day or so (or after a shower or swim - cyanoacrylate is water-soluble).

Super glue is a plentiful resource, and is also used in surgery.  Its only downside in my experience has been the frustration felt when seeing the amount that ages out in the vial before having a chance to do my bidding. 

Of course, having enough nail to make that "click" really helps with hearing the sound.  Keeping nails in shape through thick and thin is an art all its own (involving nail files, super glue, silk, pieces of ping pong balls, picking adjustments and, sometimes, sheer patience). 

waxwing:
Hey Jed

See my post about using UV resin instead of acrylic for nail support: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12137.msg109377#msg109377

Wax

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version