The Unwound Third > Phonograph Blues

Records, CDs, Downloads

<< < (2/4) > >>

Thomas8:
I still buy Document Cd's and listen to LP's as well, I stay away from streaming services. Though more convenient and cheaper I don't think I would enjoy the experience as much. Too much of a good thing can be overwhelming.

Johnm:
Hi all,
Like Thomas, I don't subscribe to any streaming services, and I don't download .mp3s either. I still buy CDs, LPs very rarely. I bought more CDs during the Covid lock-down than I had probably bought in the ten or fifteen years prior to that. Except for music I can't get any other way, I probably buy CDs the most made by friends who are musicians. Incidentally, I don't know if it makes a difference to anybody, but Spotify is an unbelievably bad deal for living, working musicians who have music on it--hundreds of plays to get a couple of pennies. Youtube has saved me a lot of money--there's so much stuff up there now.
All best,
Johnm

eric:
Expanding on what John said, I feel obliged to compensate musicians for their work.  It's not news that musicians are ripped off by the business, but it's at a ridiculous level these days.
-
"Everything is free now
That's what they say
Everything I ever done
Gonna give it away"

-Gillian Welch

banjochris:
I buy CDs (and occasionally LPs, though not so often these days), but I import them to iTunes and tend to listen from my phone. Works like Spotify but my music and I don't need an internet connection. I still have an iPod classic but haven't used it in a long time. My phone holds a ton of stuff and I rotate some things in and out; other stuff always stays.

dj:
I'm amazingly like banjochris, except I haven't bought an LP in 30 years.  I do buy an mp3 from various sources, mostly iTunes, when the song I want isn't available in another format.  And for some truly obscure blues songs that just aren't available commercially in any form, I'll rip a song from YouTube.  I always feel a bit guilty doing that, but I figure most of the original artists are dead and if the rights owner doesn't want to make something available for purchase, what else can one do?

I do listen to stuff occasionally on Spotify, mostly just to see if I like it.  But for anything I'll ever want to listen to again, I want to own a copy, since stuff is available on streaming services only as long as the service and the rights owners want to make it available.  Stuff does disappear from the streamers.

By the way, the reason I never buy LPs is that virtually every LP issued in the last 30 years was originally mastered digitally, then converted to analog.  So the sound is, at best, no better than the digital master.  And for older stuff that was originally recorded on wax disk or on tape, the source is almost invariably converted to digital, then back to analog, so why not just listen to the digital. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version