collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Old Yank's wife, when she seen me and John coming, she'd start throwing Yank's clothes outdoors - Hammie Nixon, in The Voice of the Blues

Linked Events

• Rich Del Grosso & Steve James NYC 4/6,7 &: April 06, 2009 - April 10, 2009

Author Topic: Rich Del Grosso & Steve James NYC 4/6,7 & 10 2009  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Flatd7

• Pre War Blues, Country, Bluegrass & Gospel Music
Rich Del Grosso & Steve James NYC 4/6,7 & 10 2009
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »
So two of my favorite guitarists and mando pickers will be in NYC the second week of April. For those of you who can't make it up to Mando Camp North in  the Boston area, Rich Del Grosso will teach a workshop called "From Bluegrass Came The Blues" on Monday night, April 6, 2009. Rich wrote a "must have" Blues Mando book last year and writes the Blues column for Mandolin Magazine. He's a real scholar and spent a lot of time with Howard Armstrong. This workshop will connect the dot's between the early Blues Mandolin guys like Coley Jones, Vol Stevens and my favorite Charlie McCoy . . . .  and the Father Of Bluegrass, Bill Monroe. I'm fascinated and it should be a hot one.

Then Rich and Steve James will play multiple sets at the Living Room on Tuesday, April 7th. In full disclosure, my band the Second Fiddles will accompany them along with David Bennett Cohen and Andrew Hall, Formerly of the Moonlighters. It should be a barrel of fun. It's on Ludlow Street on the lower east side.

Then on Good Friday, April 10th we'll head out to Jalopy in Red Hook with Steve James. Steve's new record is another classic and I hope you'll come out to see him play. Jalopy is a very cool little hole in the wall, and it's currently the coolest spot in NY to play or see music. A real one of a kind place, run by a great couple. The room is intimate, the vibe is funky, the beers are cheap and the sound is fantastic. What else could you ask for? Then for the strong of heart, head over to Sunny's for the late (I mean late . . . ) nite jam. There are Juke Joints in NYC, and these are two of the best.

Hope to see you.

Email me for workshop details!
jon at secondfiddles dot com
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:39:43 PM by Slack »

Offline JTBlue

Re: Rich Del Grosso & Steve James NYC 4/6,7 & 10 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »
Jon,

Where in Red Hook is the Jalopy?  Walking distance of Sunny's?

Thanks,
JTBlue

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:03:23 AM »
JT -

Google map . Jalopy website http://www.jalopy.biz/

It's a cool place.

Offline Flatd7

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
Sorry JT, just waking up from a hectic week and checking the boards. Hope you made it out. For those curious, Jalopy in on Columbia Street between Summit and Hamilton. A little bit of a hike from Sunny's. If it hadn't been a work night we might have wandered over to Sunny's for some late night mischief.

Jalopy is THE place to play in NY these days. Geoff and Lynette are wonderful hosts. Geoff has a great luthier shop right in the entry and is sitting bopping to music while he refrets instruments during the shows. The sound guys are always great (thanks Ernie!) and there's usually some cool art installation in the listening room.

Good people who love old music, old instruments and know how to make sure everyone has a good time. Put it on your list the next time you travel through NYC.

Suzy, Eric and Del were too amazing to describe, but I tried over at the IGS board. Too much musical inspiration this week for a guy with a day job. Time to go make the donuts.

Support Live Acoustic Music!

Offline JTBlue

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »
Thanks!  Didn't get there last night because I'd been traveling for most of the past two weeks, but am trying to get a group together for April 7 at the Living Room or April 10 at the Jalopy.

JTBlue

Offline Flatd7

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:56:08 PM »
Last years "Tax Day" show with Rich and Del Rey wS the high point of my musical year. This year we get the Texas Tornado (Steve James) and MR Del Grosso in one show. (I am NOT looking forward to playing mando as the opening act). But it should be a great night. Steve's new record is wonderful. Rich is hitting his stride with two great albums last year and two Blues Music Award nominations this year.

We'll bring along some great sidemen like David Bennett Cohen on piano, Andrew Hall (of the Moonlighters) on bass and our own Trip Henderson, NY's merry monarch of the mouth harp. We should have a good time and I might get an opportunity to plug in my L5 and play some Chicago Blues.

Come one, come all . . . .

And don't forget Rich's Mandolin Workshop!

Offline JTBlue

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:13 PM »
Tonight's show was great!  What a treat to hear Rich Del Grosso again.  Anyone who can get out to Brooklyn on Friday night should catch the Second Fiddles next gig.

JTBlue

Offline Flatd7

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:02 AM »
JT - Thanks for the kind words and coming out. Rich is such a tremendous talent. We've done this with him twice and it feels so good we can't wait to do more. Wish him luck at the Blues Music Awards this year!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal