collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It was three things that a black person didn't do. Don't touch a white woman, a white face cow, and a bale of cotton, and you could get along. - Arthur Crudup

Author Topic: Backroads and Banjos - Art Rosenbaum  (Read 918 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Backroads and Banjos - Art Rosenbaum
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:48 AM »
Art Rosenbaum's radio show Backroads and Banjos is available online here: http://1690wmlb.com/?cat=10. Quite a number of archived episodes. While, yes, there are banjos, there are also shows on Leadbelly, black string bands, Scrapper Blackwell and Shirley Griffith, Rev. Gary Davis, Elizabeth Cotten, as well as Cajun, country, and other traditional music.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Backroads and Banjos - Art Rosenbaum
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »

Thanks for posting this, UB.

As someone with history working in radio, there are two things I find really interesting about these programs. First, it's streaming from an AM station. As we all know, AM sounds like hell when you're listening on an AM radio, but when it's streaming it's right tolerable to listen to. It's hard for me to imagine people tuning in to an AM station to listen to music anymore, but someone must be doing so.

Second is the short format. I listened to the "Music of the Bahamas" program just now (always good to start the day with a little Joseph Spence and the Pindar Family), and it was just under 13 minutes. I don't have an iPod or other device for listening to podcasts, so many of you are probably used to that format by now, but it's new for me.

Check out the list of programs he's put together, seems like a great way to take a 15 minute break in the middle of your day.

Lindy

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
It's hard for me to imagine people tuning in to an AM station to listen to music anymore, but someone must be doing so.

AM is so far off my radar I'd pretty much forgotten it still existed. I figured the frequencies had mostly been turned over to garage door openers and right-wing talkshow hosts a long time ago.

Second is the short format. I listened to the "Music of the Bahamas" program just now (always good to start the day with a little Joseph Spence and the Pindar Family), and it was just under 13 minutes. I don't have an iPod or other device for listening to podcasts, so many of you are probably used to that format by now, but it's new for me.

Check out the list of programs he's put together, seems like a great way to take a 15 minute break in the middle of your day.

I agree, the short and sweet format is very appealing. Of course, given how much work Art Rosenbaum has done in research, field recording and such, I could just as easily handle 3 hours.

Offline CF

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
 . . . listening to the Rev. Gary Davis ep as I type, great stuff, thanks for the heads up . . . 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Tags: banjo Art Rosenbaum 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal