collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I think the guy is one of these interplanetary world musicians, the kind of person they talk about where the world is sound and everything is resonating. He's one of those guys. There's only a few - Ry Cooder on Blind Willie Johnson

Author Topic: Your main guitar(s)?  (Read 57277 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Your main guitar(s)?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2004, 09:43:26 AM »
Hi Jed!

Yes I just got back from Paris with the triplate - absolutely wonderful job done by Mike.

I believe he has made 1/2 size resos including the one you mention.   A brilliant craftsman and nice guy to boot.

Offline jed

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »
I believe he has made 1/2 size resos including the one you mention.   A brilliant craftsman and nice guy to boot.

Uh-oh...
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline jed

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2004, 02:25:44 AM »
Seems a good thread to open my account with.  I play a Collings OM2H. It's pretty much all I need so I'm in the process of selling my other guitar.
Having said that, I am on the look out for a 20s/30s parlor sized guitar just because I've always fancied owning one! A bit tricky to find in England, though.

Well, hello, The Major!  Looks like you've got good taste in instruments.  While this thread may provide a few drooling moments of guitar envy and puffery, it's about the least musical thread on the site.  Gear - investment-grade or otherwise - is fun, but Weenie Campbell's real poop is about the music made (mostly with old Stellas, or nowadays with whatever faux Stella is on hand).  So, click around to the ever-increasing variety of country blues topics here; let us know what you like to hear and play, check out the gallery (which really needs updating), the CB Archive, the Back Porch - you'll surely find a bunch of subjects to excite your interest and engage your spirit.  Welcome, and enjoy!

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2004, 02:33:04 PM »
Hi all:

Just back from visiting Bozeman, Mont. which is the site of the Gibson Acoustic Guitar Factory. Unfortunately, no tours the only day I could go. But in downtown Bozeman there's a music store (Music Villa) that has one of every model of guitar Gibson builds, plus a great selection of new Taylors and Martins,

Whilst there I got seduced and now own the Robert Johnson reissue 12 fret short scale L-1. After the jumbo I play most often, the relative lack of bass is weird, and the short scale takes some getting used to. But she's such a pretty little thing.

The store has a wonderful collection of old Gibsons inc. a guitar-harp thing. A must see if your ever in that neck-of-the woods.

That old Gibson L-3 that i mentioned a while back is still availible and I'm to see it tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Poorer,
Alex

poney_boy

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2004, 04:28:43 PM »
Greetings all!!!

Mid 40's Gibson for playing everything 6
Late 20's Stella tree of Life for the Patton, Jefferson, etc. sound
Late 20's jumbo Stella 12 for Blind Willie stuff

swampman is definitely in the know!

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2005, 04:24:46 PM »
Well I only have 2 acoustics. My main one is my 1973 Martin D35. I also have a Takamine which I keep around to learn in open tunings. I would love to one day to be able to afford a custom made one.

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2005, 04:52:41 AM »
I've got a few guitars that work well for playing country blues, but the two that I play most are a '45 Martin 00-17  and a '36 Gibson L-00 that I acquired just before Christmas.  Can't seem to keep my hands off these two--very different sounds and necks,  but they're definitely for blues!

Jeff

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2005, 11:12:26 AM »
I told pyrochlore I'd post some pictures of this one when I got it, so here you go.  The photos actual don't show how rough the finish is, including a couple of repaired hairline cracks in the top--so I didn't get it for a collectible, but to play, and boy, have I been playing it!  This is the first chance I've had to post the pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2005, 11:40:37 AM »
Nice guitar WC.  Mary Flowers '36 Gibson is the best souding guitar I've ever heard..

One favor, please don't double post photos/messages.  We try to watch the disk space and all that.  I'd appreciate it if you would remove one... your choice. ;)

Thanks,
Slack

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »
Hi WC:

Boy, that sure is a beauty. The tobacco finish is fantastic.

I'm in love. I'm sure it sounds wonderful.

Alex
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 12:06:12 PM by Pyrochlore »

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2005, 01:25:12 PM »
Oops! 

Sorry, Slack.  I removed the redundant post.

Jeff

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2005, 02:29:28 PM »
My main guitars are:

2000 National Reso Phonic Style O that I am about to put a Highlander into (If you are reading this David please let me know how your Phillips with the Highlander sounds. I would be anxious to know)

1998 Martin 000-28 EC
1962 Harmony Monterey
1937 Kalamazoo KG-14
197something Yamaha SJ-180 that is set up for slide and is great.  (It is full of autographs from some of the world's great blues legends that I have studied with over the years)
Those are my main recording and performing guitars but I also have a slough of others.

Interesting thread.

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2005, 03:30:06 PM »
If you are reading this David please let me know how your Phillips with the Highlander sounds. I would be anxious to know)

Hi Mark. I'm a big fan of Highlander pickups in resonator instruments. I've had Highlanders in 3 different single-cone guitars, and all sound great. Minimal to no EQ required to get a pretty natural sound. Go for it!

Dave

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2005, 11:10:36 AM »
I own and play:
1931 National Duolian, for fingerstyle and slide
1972 Takamini D-35, Brazilian Rosewood/ Mahogny, (knockoff by Yairi Sada of MArtin): CB, jazz, all! current favorite, great action and playability !
1969 Martin D-35 Brazilian: needs neck reset, then will sell it, since I love the sound and playability of the SADA more! Oh, Lord... :'(
1972 Suzuki dreadnaught: wil sell. A good inexpensive beginners guitar that has enough  saddle to lower action and improve ease of play for whomever. :D
2002 Dodson cigar-box Mandolin: this is my current mistress, and she is a doll, thank you very much!  :P

I am selling the Martin and the Suzuki. I am looking for a woodbody smaller body guitar for all around play. I loved Alex's re-issue Gibson RJ  parlor guitar. Very sweet, and a joy to play. I love the Norman Blake Martin OM-28, but too damn expensive. Love Slack's Gibson knock-offs too. Love Schmidt  Stella's. Bad GAS. This one will be my usual guitar for CB, will likely have 12 frets. Will use the SADA for jazz, using diminished and barre chords up the neck--until I spring for an archtop!

All for now,
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2005, 02:25:56 PM »
I love my Martin D-1.  Big growling bass- which is ideal for my bare finger playing.  I dont need picks to get it to rumble.

Also a '33 Duolian which is much refurbished- new neck and plating- but sounds great to my ears and is easy to play for slide.

Seagull 12 string- a bargain purchase and I dont do it justice yet

An Alhambra nylon string flamenco guitar which is criminally underused

A blue, plastic roundbacked Tanglewood electro acoustic which is just the easiest guitar to play I have ever held and considering its humble specification, doesnt sound too bad.  I use it for playing aruond the house mainly- and for learning new stuff because its easier!

And finally- and old Vantage 6 string which is basic, and I have recently shimed the bridge so I can use it as a second slide guitar- when I want more sustain than the Duolian gives me.

On my wish list.....

A small bodied acoustic
A good tricone
A weissenborn....

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal