collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Every time she shakes, some man's dollar's gone - Blind Boy Fuller, Meat Shakin' Woman

Author Topic: Forum Usage: Tags  (Read 38558 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Forum Usage: Tags
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:43:39 AM »
Tagging threads helps keep the content you post on the site alive and kicking. Tags are a useful addition to the traditional board indexes and unread posts feature. They provide a way to chase down a subject grouped across all boards regardless of last posting date.

The use of tagging on various internet sites ranges from a total free for all to tightly controlled. The way it is evolving on the weenie site is somewhere in the middle, with enough control to keep tagging useful.

Guidelines for tag posting
------------------------
1. Check if there's an existing tag running that's appropriate and use exactly the same format. You can see all the tags currently active by clicking on the horizontal menu bar at the top of each page on the tab labeled Tags. Using the same tag text ensures the thread you're tagging will be grouped with the others.

2. The moderators can do housekeeping to ensure things don't drift too far and to keep the system useful to the maximum number of people. So please don't be too surprised if your tag changes at some point.

3. Tag like a librarian, remember that tags belong to and are used by everybody. Don't create 'quirky' tags that mean nothing to anyone else. Make sure what you're tagging contains enough information to make it worth grouping with other threads with the same tag.

Guidelines for tag formatting
---------------------------
When creating a new tag please follow these guidelines. A hastily convened weenie tagging work group agreed on these after some discussion.

1. Avoid noise characters like dashes and double quotes. If in doubt leave it out.

2. Commas. Only use if absolutely necessary.

3. Initial and embedded capitals.
   "things" should have no initial capital letter:
   banjo, railroads, floods
   Real names should have an initial capital:
   Banjo Ikey Robinson, Titanic, Blind Lemon Jefferson

4. People with initials before their name:
   J.T. Smith. Space between J.T. and Smith

5. Tunings. Vestapol, Spanish, Cross Note, Dropped D. Other tunings without a common name, G6 tuning

6. Standard guitar tuning and chords.
   Use "position" to imply standard tuning:
   C position, E position, A minor position
   Chords. Use short form:
   Bm7b5, Gm7, Ebdim

7. Concepts. Where a thread embodies two or more concepts give each one a distinct tag.
   So a thread discussing creation, recreation and interpretation can be tagged three times.

8. History. Use a compound tag to qualify what aspect of history. Separate a prefix "history" with a colon:
   history: instruments, history: social, history: recording

9. Instructional posts: "Instruction". This is the one exception to the initial capital rule for obvious reasons.

10. The word "blues" in a tag is usually completely redundant. If you tag "blues magazines" people will naturally assume it's a tag about blues magazines, so just tag "magazines". The theory threads are exceptions, blues theory, 16 bar blues etc. are valid.

11. Like "blues", also completely redundant are "fingerpicking", "guitar", "lyrics", etc etc. Context is everything, this is weeniecampbell.com! :P Redundant tags will be removed or refactored.

12. Song titles. If we tagged every song title mentioned on WC the list would be enormous. Better to not tag it and use the search.

At this point, and probably forever more, we haven't gotten round to bringing all the tags into line with the above. Any problems, questions or requests please feel free to post them here.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:45:21 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Tag guidelines
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »
Well people I'm impressed. A few dedicated individual taggers have been beavering away in the background.

Check out the discographies tag in particular. Someone has been on a mission to group all the references to Stefan Wirz's most excellent archiving project website. I won't mention any names for fear of embarrassing anyone, so rest assured, Bunker, your secret is safe with me.

To see the full tag index click on Tags, either here or on the horizontal menu bar above. It's currently at nearly 420 distinct tags, grouping over 1300 topics.

I don't know about y'all but I've been surfing the tags a lot and as a result have been getting much more out of the weenie site. Thanks to all the taggers for helping to keep it stitched together. We have plans to roll out more functionality in this area at some point.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:14:21 AM by Rivers »

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 09:23:24 AM »
And thanks to you, Rivers, for keeping us on the straight and narrow path!

Alex

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
And thanks to you, Rivers, for keeping us on the straight and narrow path!
...and for saving me a fortune by keeping me out of the pub! Seriously this tagging thing is bringing to light so many interesting threads from way before my joining which I'd never have had the time, nor inclination, to spend hours using the "search forum" function on. It's also a good way for us "newbies" not to reinvent what's already been invented in terms of duplicating earlier discussion topics.

Keep up the good work Rivers and co.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:46:28 AM »
Bunker has noticed the following forum software behavior relating to tags:

This relates to the message preview function and occurs when creating a new post. If you specify a tag or tags then preview the post, the tags are lost.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
Mods, before you merge threads please delete all tags from the thread from which you're merging. There seems to be a minor database issue if you don't.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:21:48 PM »
Could you clarify that directive, Rivers?  When merging threads, must the tags be deleted from the thread that is the point of origin for the merger or the thread that is selected for merging?  Sorry to be slow on this.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:43:06 PM »
Sorry, it wasn't too clear was it. Delete the tags from the point of origin. Then if necessary add the tags again to the target thread, if they're not already there.

Offline CF

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:08:47 AM »
Rivers I've tried tagging two of my posts of my tunes as Cheapfeet but they're not merging, coming up as two separate options, same spelling, in the Tags menu, thanks . . .
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »
Please, please read the guidelines before tagging... I just cleaned up (among a dozen others) one post that had separate tags for 'blind', 'lemon', 'jefferson', 'slide', 'guitar', 'delta', 'blues'... ::)

Please click on the TAGS tab above to see what tags are really all about around here folks. And Thank you, very very much!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 06:51:35 PM »
Perhaps it bears pointing out that tags are used differently here than, say, on youtube, where tags like those Riv mentioned above are common.

Thanks folks.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 10:57:21 AM »
Dang! Trying to Tag the Oscar Woods thread and I can't remember the proper punctuation for multiple Tags, and the info doesn't seem to be in the thread above. Riv, could you please add multiple Tag posting to your first post? Thanks.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
Nevermind, I see multiple Tags are only allowed on the original post. No info for that here either, I guess.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »
Something has changed, didn't there used to be a tags entry box in the 'post reply' screen, or did I misremember that?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »
Close to a thousand tags: Total 976 tags in the system over 3015 topics, since around Jan/Feb 2007

I've been cleaning up a bit, trying to keep it reasonably tight. A lot of new posters who are used to tags on blog sites don't read our site's tag guidelines and it really shows sometimes! No big deal.

Tags: tags 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal